twenty three - super cool

Today, we finally got to find out our parts for the school play - not that I was too bothered anyway. After what had happened at Mr Raye's house with Ashton, had me all shaken up for some unknown reason. In fact, I'm glad that kid walked in when he did because if it had gone any further, I'd be fucked. Ashton's constantly on my mind as it is, the last thing I need is to do stuff with him that's going to mess me up some more. 

I tell myself to get over Ashton, but I don't think I really want to. I enjoy the thoughts of him and the pretty picture I paint of the two of us actually having a relationship some day. Then, I remember everything he's told me about 'not committing' or 'I'm not a relationship type of guy' and suddenly I feel so low again. I've spent years wishing I'd have a chance with the most gorgeous guy in school and I thought for a moment that wish had came true - but it never will. I feel like Ashton and I keep going back and fourth, repeatedly messing with my head and then we're still going nowhere. It's like he's got me all fucked up, yet he's fine.

I walk into the drama room, taking a seat by myself on the bench at the back - walking straight passed Ashton and Luke. For some reason, I wasn't in the mood to attempt to make Ashton like me back today, in fact I feel pretty bored of that game. I know Ashton's told me he likes me and offers me his cute lines, which make me feel great - but for how long does he want me to wait around for him? Although, he could answer with any amount of days - maybe even months - and he knows that I would hang around for him. 

Our drama teacher, Mrs Lawford, makes a bold entrance into the room - greeting us all with her arms wide open. Everyone shoves their phones into their pockets and focuses their full attention onto our teacher. "Good morning, boys and girls. I hope you all are having a good morning."

The class groans, before Mrs Lawford continues, passing a pile of paper to the person at the front and passing the sheet around. "On the paper are your parts for this year's production. I will have no cast swapping and no complaining. We only have a few weeks before this show must hit the stage."

"Miss, who's Jed Marick?" I hear Luke call out, waving his piece of paper in the air.

Mrs Lawford takes a step forward. "Jed Marick, Luke, is the most handsome man on the earth. He will be romantic and heroic, doing everything in his power for his star-crossed lover Jane Howard."

I look to my sheet. Jane Howard. I instantly bury my head into the palms of my hands as I realize what is now expected of me. I had decided several moments ago that I was going to stay well out of the popular group's way - not be Luke's on screen lover or whatever. 

I catch Luke smiling at me from across the row and I shyly smile back, before returning back to reading the script. I notice that the romance story between the two characters is rather sweet, something every girl dreams about but never seems to get. The two characters stumble upon each other in a library, seeming to fall in love at first sight and pursuing a forbidden relationship. 

I spot Ashton stand up from his seat and begin to walk over to me in the corner of the room, while everyone else is still discussing their parts. I gulp as he walks over to me, feeling nervous by his company for some reason. Perhaps all my over thinking really has messed me up and suddenly I feel like I've been chasing something that's impossible to catch.

"Have you been purposely ignoring my calls?"

Shit, he knows. I purse my lips together as I look over to Ashton, straight away feeling lured in by his Cashmere cologne and captivating hazel eyes.

"I haven't been checking my phone," I say slowly, flicking through the script even though no words were going into my brain. 

Ashton's face turns cold, looking to me disappointed. "Why are you lying to me, Lacey? Have I done something to upset you?"