Chapter 30: A Long Time Ago

Rei found himself walking along a graveled path through a garden of sorts, seeing an unfamiliar boy sat down. His legs were crossed and his eyes a piercing teal color that scanned over the book he was reading, his red hair falling slightly in front of his face. Despite not knowing who the male was, he felt a sense of courage as he made his way over to the boy.

"H-Hi," he said nervously, holding his hands behind his back in an attempt to distract him from his nerves and shaking, "My name is - "

"I know your name," the boy said, callously, almost viciously and yet without much emotion in his words, "Rei Hoshino. Or is it Rei Hirasi today?"

The small blonde, stood shocked, not expecting to be known of by this complete stranger. Even his mother had told him that they were visiting a family friend of hers, but he had heard that there was a boy around his age. He figured this would be a great place to start over and make friends. Yet, it seemed his hopes were shattered by the cold tone present in the redhead's voice.

"How...did you know?" the boy asked, rocking on his heels.

For once, the unfamiliar boy's eyes snapped up to the blonde and sneered, observing the blonde with his distant azure pupils. He lost interest quickly, returning to his book without a second thought.

"You're infamous," the red-head growled, "Your name gets mentioned more than mine in my own house. How could I not know?"

"Have I upset you?" Rei asked, looking into the surface of the fountain, seeing his reflection stare back disappointedly at him.

There was a crash from the book that the boy was reading as it closed harshly by command of the antagonistic youth. He let out a belittling scoff before walking away from the blonde, leaving him on his own in an unfamiliar garden. Even when his mother had him properly introduced, he still received a cold reaction.

It wasn't outright unfriendly, but the boy put on a mask to hide his true intentions. Being used to wearing his own, Rei saw right through it as an attempt to look amiable for his parents who wished him to get along. Afterward, he was even more ruthless than before and snapped at the male more than once.

"I don't understand," Rei cried, "Why do you hate me?"

"Because you're perfect!" Shota shouted, throwing the book on the ground.

As it hit, the cover ripped right down the middle, sending papers of the book shooting up and falling to the ground. All the while, the red-head refused to look away from him, making him anger himself. When all the pages of the book were on the ground, he looked at them softly, his expression changing as if that book were the most precious thing he owned.

It crossed his mind to pick it up, but he refused to crawl on his hands and knees to do such a thing. The humiliation kept him from doing so, stomping away instead, before Rei grabbed his wrist, pulling him back to face himself. He had enough of the appalling treatment toward him.

"Explain!" Rei demanded, putting his foot down.

"You're perfect!" Shota growled, almost mockingly, "You're perfect. That's it! How can't you be satisfied with that?! I would love for my mother to say that to me! But all that comes out of her mouth is you, you, you!"

"But - "

"No, shut up!" the boy said, his mannerisms dropping, "I hate you! I try so hard to be perfect for her, but you show up and take everything away! She goes on and on about how brilliant you are, and how I should be more like you! You don't even try and you're perfect at everything! I would kill to be able to have that! Get out! Get out of my house! Out of my life! Go!"