Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“I can go back to my apartment. I don’t think it’s a good idea for Adam to come here. He doesn’t trust you,” I told Caine a few hours later.

I was in his study, while he worked on whatever Alphas did all day.

“I don’t trust him either,” he replied, without looking up at me.

His focus was on his laptop, which I was quickly learning to hate.

At the moment, Caine was the only person I had around that I knew. I didn’t trust him, but at least I felt that he wouldn’t hurt me.

The silence that took over the room whenever Caine turned to his laptop only gave me time to think.

Thinking.

Any other day, I would have used that time to make plans, most which would include annoying Liam or Caine. Today, I hated being left alone with my thoughts.

Shane and Estella’s memory kept crawling into my mind. Images of their bloodied bodies had taken front and center seats in my thoughts.

I hated that. It made me feel guilty, lonely, and bitter towards Caine and his pack.

“Perfect. I can meet him at the apartment and you two don’t have to see each other,” I said.

“That will have to do. I prefer to have the Rogue as far away from my lands as possible. Your apartment is as good as it will get. I will be present during your meeting,” Caine stated.

I shook my head at him. How he managed to sound so smooth while complaining about something was beyond me.

“I guess I’ll go ahead and go back to my place.”

I wasn’t looking forward to being alone in the apartment, not after everything that happened. I didn’t tell that to Caine though.

“Your door isn’t fixed yet,” Caine told me.

“I thought you were taking care of that today. Actually, I thought it would get fixed yesterday.”

“I thought I would have a peaceful afternoon yesterday,” Caine said, mockingly.

I narrowed my eyes at him and had to force myself to keep my mouth shut. If I said to him all the things that were running through my head, well it felt like I was asking for a death wish.

“Those were my friends that died yesterday,” was all I said, getting up from the chair and heading for the door.

Caine was in front of me in a flash.

“I apologized for giving that order. I didn’t realize you needed another apology,” he said with a serious voice.

My mouth dropped opened and I stared at him incredulously.

“You’re unbelievable,” I snapped, trying to sidestep him.

He wasted no time in wrapping his arms around my waist and keeping me in place. That place happened to be inches away from his chest.

“What do you mean?” He asked me.

He was frowning, but I could see the confusion written all over his face.

Being in Caine’s arms made it hard to think straight, especially with his voice sending shivers all through my body.

“You didn’t think I needed another apology? Who says that?”

“I said that, right now,” Caine replied, his frown not letting up.

“I was being sarcastic. I didn’t ask for another apology. By the way, apologizing doesn’t fix anything. It can’t bring Shane and Estella back,” I snapped.