Gunshots

How could I fail?

They will kill me for this. Hydra will not except a failure.

"Why do you need backup agent?" someone asked suspiciously over Tiana's earpiece. She didn't know who it was. Her ears were ringing and her heart was pounding. The burning grew and grew.

I stared at the man who shot me. A middle-aged man with not much hair.

"Coulson." I heard Natasha murmured breathlessly.

I didn't show my pain. Hydra already knows I failed since I had to call for backup.

I know who they are sending.

The Winter Soldier.

I laughed dryly like a madman. I knew the soldier. He was ruthless. He killed any Hydra soldier who was a failure before finishing their undone job.

He would kill me too. And Natalia, Steve, Tony, and whoever else was a threat upon this ship. I was ignorant to think I could take this on so quick. 

I held my wound that was flowing non-stop with blood. I turned in Natalia's direction. "Just kill me. I'd rather you people do it than him." 

Natalia had had her gun out, and so did a few others. "What are you talking about?"

"I failed. They'll kill me for failing. He will."

"Who's he?" asked Steve.

I laughed dryly again. "You'll see." I said in a singsong voice.

There were nearby gunshots. He was here already? They must have stationed him nearby since they knew I'd eventually fail this mission.

The soldier was a mindless killing machine. His gunshots got closer by the second. Some in the room ran out trying to look for the danger. One curly haired guy stayed.

I felt dizzy from blood loss and I knew I had no chance of fighting the soldier away.

I shouldn't have called for backup. I mentally groaned.

I fell backward and scooted my body weakly against a wall. Then there was a loud bang and the door to the room I was in flew off. And there he was.

His metal arm shone in the Sun streaming through the room.

He wasn't here for the Avengers and as backup. He was here for me.

Just me.