Chapter 18 Cat and Mouse

(AU: Hello! Thank you all so much for reading my book! As of right now, this is the final chapter I have finished BUT there will be more coming. School and work make it difficult to write sometimes. I hope you enjoy chapter 18 nonetheless though! ) 

"Hey Pait, remember when we found that Seltenvogal who was with the Klaustreich?" Nick asked her over the phone. Paityn scoffed. 

"You mean the Seltenvogal you found? I didn't get to see the darn thing. I was at home, working." Paityn shook her head as she walked. 

"That doesn't matter, I suppose. Hey, what's a synonym for mean?" He asked abruptly. 

"Hold up, first we're talking about Wesen and now writing? Is this another phase?" She asked.

"Definitely not. It's Wesen related if that helps." Nick sighed and she heard his chair squeak as he leaned back. 

"Uh, what's the context?" She asked as she walked along the sidewalk. She was on her way to visit Pearl when Nick had called. 

"I suppose, 'He was mean like the devil?'" Nick questioned himself. 

"Like sadistic?" Paityn answered. 

"Yes! There we go! Oh, thank you Paityn! You have saved me from years of embarrassment." Nick chuckled. 

"What were you gonna put?" She asked curiously. She shook her head knowing it was a stupid question. He was probably gonna put mean. 

"I was gonna put, 'A real ass.' but I decided that doesn't sound formal," Nick admitted. 

"Oh god, Nick. How am I related to you?" Paityn chuckled. "Oh! Before I forget, since I'm 13 weeks pregnant and ending the first trimester I am throwing a party. I have invited you, Monroe, Rosalee, and I still have to tell Hank, Wu, and Juliet." She was gonna have another celebration with Adalind and Pearl due to relationship issues.

"Not Sean?" He asked. 

"It's Sean's condo, of course, he's invited." Paityn chuckled. She abruptly bumped into someone apologizing and quickly hanging up with Nick. "Sorry! Sor...Adalind?" She asked confused. Adalind looked at her. She looked fresh with a new suit on and Paityn tilted her head. 

"Paityn! Good to see you! How have you been?" She asked. 

"We saw each other 3 days ago when I took you out to the mall." Paityn chuckled. "But I'm doing alright. You?" 

"I'm doing Fantastic. In fact, I've got a vacation planned out in a few months and I'm super excited." She smiled at Paityn. 

"Ah! Congrats! You deserve it!" Paityn wrapped her arms around Adalind and Adalind followed suit. When they pulled apart Adalind smiled looking at Paityn's stomach. She had a little baby bump that was a bit more noticeable due to her t-shirt she was wearing. 

"The baby is getting big! How far along are you?" She asked. 

"13 weeks. I'm throwing a mini party but Nick is gonna be there so I planned on throwing a separate thing for you and me." Paityn smiled. Adalind kept smiling. 

"Awe that's so sweet. Send me the details. I gotta go. Work calls." She began walking away and Paityn sighed before continuing to Pearl's house. 

~~~

When Paityn got to Pearl's house, there was a note on the door that stated that Pearl was going to be gone for a few hours and to come back later. Paityn chuckled and she began walking back. As she did so, her phone began ringing. 

"Burkhardt." She answered. 

"Hey, how are you doing?" Sean asked. Paityn smiled. He would do this more and more frequently now.