*- 53 - Possibly the last months

YOUR POV

They were finally coming back. Time had gone pretty quickly since I had started my Potions task but I was happy that my friends were coming back. I had received a Christmas card from all the girls, Hermione, Molly and even one from Ginny, which I was so glad for. The news had probably spread, but luckily none of them seemed to blame me.

I eagerly waited for them in the common room, watching other students greet each other and sometimes even me when arriving.

The first people to arrive weren't the girls though, but the Weasleys. I hadn't really prepared myself for seeing Fred again, but there was not much I could do anyway. I hadn't heard from him in two weeks, which I obviously expected, but it also left me clueless. I had decided to not be angry at him because that would only cause a horrific atmosphere. He had messed up, I had messed up and now it was over.

It had to be.

FRED'S POV

Our eyes met the moment I walked into the common room. I had told myself not to look for her right away, but I did it anyway. She had a mixture of worry and stress in her eyes, but she also looked ... good. She smiled when she saw me, but when she realised what she was doing, she quickly stopped and looked down. She was glad to see me. Her first reaction when seeing me was a smile, even after what had happened.

I forced myself to look away and followed George up the stairs.

I had thought about it quite a lot, even though my mum told me not to. I tried not to, but that was quite hopeless. I didn't think about what had happened, though. I thought about what should happen in the future. I had weighed the options many times. 

I could either distance myself from her and slowly get over her, but create an annoying atmosphere in the group and lose a really great person, or I could try and make things right again, which would make me happy, but I knew that I would never really get over her. 

We were a lost cause, her and I and I knew that she didn't want that. She didn't want me anymore. I would never get over her if she was close to me and I knew that would be so very painful, but I couldn't cut her out. I loved her.

Both options weren't very appealing, but I caught myself many times during the holidays, wanting to tell Y/N about what George and I were up to. I hadn't felt like that since the summer. I wanted to tell her about our new inventions, the building we bought and even about the grand scheme we were planning. I just hoped she could forgive me, even if it would take some time. I hoped that one day, she could trust me again.

I had to make things right as soon as possible so we could end our last year having fun with friends and without all the drama. These could possibly be the last months I'd spend with her.

"I'm going to talk to Y/N, I'll see you at supper", I said and pushed my trunk under my bed.

"Already?" George asked and I nodded. I couldn't stand here and do nothing. I just had to do it.

YOUR POV

"Potions? I thought you hated that subject." I looked up surprised into Fred's chocolaty brown eyes. I stared for a while, until I realised that I had to respond.

"Oh, yeah, I've decided to get my grades up", I said and rubbed my neck awkwardly.

"Have you got a minute?" he asked and I nodded immediately. He seemed terribly nervous, which he wasn't often. I knew he was nervous about me reaction, just like I was nervous for his. For once, we couldn't figure each other out. I pushed my books to the side and followed Fred outside.

"I just thought talking would be a good idea. I want all the madness to end", Fred said and sat down on a stone bench at the edge of the castle.

"Yeah, it really is. Can I go first?" I asked. There were some things I wanted to say before I knew what he was thinking. He nodded.