Chapter Thirty Nine

"Where would you like to go, Celia?" Blake asks. He loops his arm through mine and we walk from his bedroom towards the steps. A beautiful melody travels through the hallway. It takes all of my willpower to continue moving.

"It doesn't matter. You pick," I say. We walk past Flynn's little hallway and the music gets louder. Light perks out from under the door. I try not to stare at his door but it is a hard mission. I've missed Flynn the last couple of days. We haven't spent any time together in the last week.

"How about we find something to do in the gardens?" Blake suggests. I nod and he escorts me away from the music. He leads me to a door near the big room.

When we walk out, the cool mid-November air hits my face. Leaves that are an assortment of mustard, scarlet red, and apricot colors are scattered on the ground. They crunch under our feet as we navigate our way through the skeletons of the beautiful plants that once were.

"Celia, can I tell you something?" Blake asks. I nod and wait for him to continue. "Do you have any feelings for me?" he asks.

"I'm not really sure. I feel something for all of you but I think what I feel for the others is probably stronger," I explain. He nods. We sit in an awkward silence for a while. It gently eases away, though, and we become more comfortable around each other.

                                                                               §§§

I walk away from Blake after saying our goodbyes. I climb the staircase to the second floor and walk down a small hallway that leads to a staircase mostly used my maids and butlers. I've always used this hallway when I want a quick escape to my room.

I walk slowly down the hallway. There are only a few closets on this hall. No guards pace the floor watching for threats. I take a few more steps and the door to my right clicks open.

A hand covers my mouth and I'm dragged into the darkness of a closet.
I'm sorry about such a short chapter. I didn't really know what to do with Blake so... I'm going on a long car trip to a friend's house who lives like four hours away so there is no telling when I will update. Please comment and vote!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.