Chapter 43

Two days.

Two days until my pretty much inevitable death.

I shuddered at the thought. I was still afraid if death. I hated knowing that the world would continue to thrive without me. I hated thinking about how it would be like after death. I wanted to be there for the people I cared about.

But then again, I would be free. Free from this whole mess and the pain I had dealt with my whole life. But is my freedom and happiness worth seeing everyone I care about devastated? Besides, one is never really free. There will always be something stopping you from being completely free.

"Okay," I whispered, staring at the ground in front of me.

As much as I've thought about it or said it before, I didn't want to die.

This is it. I told Isla. We are going to die and no one is going to ever find us. I'll probably be left to rot out in the middle of no where.

You can escape before then. She assured.

How? How are you so sure that he couldn't just find me and drag me back here? She remained quiet.

Orion's POV

"Alpha!" One of my pack members ran to me. He was panting and drenched in sweat. He rested his hands on his knees to catch his breath.

"What is it?" I asked.

"We found a suspicious looking building." My eyes lit up in excitement.

"Get a group of about 5 people to patrol the area and have them report back to me on any little detail. Get Ace to to be in charge of this." I ordered. "Avoid being seen at all costs," the pack member nodded before taking off again in the direction he came from.

I went over to where Alpha Raymond was. Riley was by his side as he spoke to what appeared to be his head warrior.

"Alpha Raymond," I nodded professionally and he nodded as well. The warrior bowed his head to the both of us before he excused himself. "One of my pack members found a suspicious looking building. There's a group who's going to keep an eye on it and report back to me." Riley's eyes lit up as did Raymonds.

"Good," he nodded. "We better find her soon."

"We will," I said.

Hours later

Orion, I can confirm that Rayna is in that building. We saw Alec exiting it and heading into the forest.

This was it. We found her.

I was finally going to get my mate back.

My heart beat became erratic as I thought of getting to see her again.

She probably still hates me. I thought to myself. But I will make it up to her. I'll make everything I've ever done up to her.

I do deserve someone better. She had said. No matter how much it was true, I couldn't accept her being with someone else.

I can't risk being hurt again. Another thing that she had told me. The statements kept echoing in my head. I could not stop hearing them no matter how much I tried to ignore it.

Is this what guilt feels like? The constant reminder that you've done something horrible. The ongoing regret? My stomach sinks everytime I think about everything I had done.