PART II

11 February 2186

Night shifts are the worst, Kristina thought.

They were even worse when the guests didn't bother to show up. A new duvet had been spread over the bed, the pillows had been fluffed, and chocolates had been left on them. The bedroom had been cleaned and the bathroom had fresh towels. The soap and shampoo dispensers had been filled with something she couldn't afford. And she'd been standing there, waiting. Waiting and watching the time on The Diamond Hotel's tablet.

It was technically morning now. Five o'clock. In a few hours, the lights would turn on. She was planning on being asleep well before then.

This was his fault. God knew he'd made ten times the amount he'd paid her, and the knowledge was agony at the end of a long shift. It made her feet hurt more, and the headache that had been building behind her eyes spread.

She turned to the robots that were standing with her. "Cancel the Taylors' booking."

Fuck everyone. Nobody was going to check in at five, and none of the existing guests would want anything. She was going home.

"Request accepted," one of the robots said.

That was Alpha, she thought. Despite her background in robotics, she often found it impossible to tell the robots apart. It was only when they started doing their jobs that she understood which was which. Alpha acted as a computer and her assistant. Beta and Gamma were tasked with helping the guests to carry their luggage, offering them room service, and cleaning up after them.

When the guests showed up, that was.

"Booking cancelled," Alpha continued.

"Clock me out." Kristina leaned forward so that the robot could scan her face.

Alpha mimicked her, its bright eyes staring through her soul. Her heart beat faster. Most people found robots intimidating, but to her they symbolised everything she dreamed of. Once, she'd stared into eyes like these all day long.

Alpha suddenly shuddered as if it was experiencing a mechanical spasm. It froze.

She frowned. "Clock me out."

Alpha's extraordinary blue eyes flared even brighter. Kristina gasped and turned away, automatically scrunching her own shut.

"Kristina." Alpha drew the name out. Its voice sounded funny; less robotic than usual. "Kristina."

She turned back.

Alpha was holding the old-fashioned weighing scales that usually stood on the desk. Large metal plates hung from either side of the heavy frame.

Kristina shied back, but Alpha caught her bicep and held her tight. She wanted to scream, yet her lips were frozen shut in terror. She recognised that voice now.

It wasn't Alpha's.

"Oh, Kristina." Alpha raised the scales. "You have been a very bad girl."