Part 9

"So Char, what do you want to do? We have about an hour and a half, before I'll make dinner." I smiled, she shyly looked away and hummed.

"Jack made a mess in my room... we should go clean up..." she suggested, I chucked. Of course Jack made a mess, I nodded.

"Okay love, let's go do that," I grinned, we both got up and started to the stairs.

I held Charlie's hand as we slowly went up the stairs. As we entered her room I found that, in fact Jack had. He'd left her clothes in a pile on her bed, but mostly her room was clean. It was never much; just a bed, dresser, and closet as well a small, full bathroom. I hadn't really decorated it much; I had gotten a two bedroom home for friends or family to stay over, and for Jack if he was drunk. I really never thought it would end up as a kids bedroom. It definitely needs a lot of work, the bed was too high up for little Charlotte to climb and it just isn't a "kids room".

I started folding clothes and separating them into piles for her dresser. Shirts, pants, pjs, and undergarments. Definitely need to get her more clothes. She has probably a week worth of clothes and only two pajamas to wear. She sat and watched, I smiled at her.

"So what do you think kiddo?" I asked, tilting my head, she sighed.

"I don't know Alex..." she spoke softly, and nervously.

"Is it a lot? Are you overwhelmed?" I continue questioning, she looked up as if she was pondering the word 'overwhelmed'. Then nodding slowly.

"Overwhelmed." She affirmed, I nodded and stopped pushing.

"So what's you favorite color?" I smiled, trying to soften the interaction.

"I don't know, what's your?" Se tilted her head looking at me. I laughed, smart girl.

"Your gonna get the inside scoop, because no one knows this, but my favorite color is purple." I smiled, she giggled at me.

"Which color is that?" She asked, I furrowed my eye brows and looked at her. She doesn't know her colors, I thought. I went through the small pile of shirts and pulled out on that had purple flowers on it.

"This is purple," I pointed, she nodded.

"That's pretty, why is it your favorite?" She asked. I nodded.

"It's the Ravens color, my favorite team." She nodded at my explanation. I turned around and put the pile of shirts into a draw of the dresser. Then picking up a pile of leggings and doing the same. My phone went off in my pocket, I pulled it out of my pocket and looked.

Rian: Don't forget, Char needs a bath tonight
Alex: you're right will do

I went into the bathroom to survey what Jack had done. I opened the draws and looked to see where everything had handed. I pulled out a hair tie and put it on my wrist.

"Hey Char come here," I called she came into the bathroom. I picked her up and put her onto the counter, I thought back to watching past girlfriends and my sisters do their hair. I collected her hair and pulled it to the side, out of her face, then kind of making a bun on the side of her head.

"I should look into doing hair kiddo. You know, Jack has a sister maybe she can help me out." I commented, Charlie giggled at me.

"It's okay, Mama isn't good at hair either..." she smiled at me in the mirror, I nodded. Char then picked up a yellow duck that sat on the counter and laughed.

"What color is he?" I asked, curious at her knowledge.

"Well he's not purple..." she mumbled, I couldn't help but giggle.

"He's yellow," I enlightened, she smiled.

"Yellow! I like that word." She grinned, maybe the prettiest grin I've ever seen.

"Okay love, lets go start making dinner," I laughed, picking her up and holding her on my hip. She of course kept the duck in her grasp. I carried her down the stairs and into the den, I then sat down on the couch grabbing the remote. Kid shows.

"Hey have you ever watched, Elmo? Sesame Street?" I asked, she tilted her head at me then shaking it no. I raised my eye brows and put it on from On Demand.

"So you sit here and I'm gonna go put food in the oven? Okay?" I payed out my plan, she nodded and sat back. I went into the kitchen and got a frozen pizza from the freezer; preheating the oven, putting it on a pan, and waiting.