Brienne of Tarth X Fem!Reader - Salute

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Salute' by Little Mix. I hope you all enjoy it.

"We have to do our bit in this war," you cried out, your eyes roaming over the crowd of women gathered in front of you. You had never been to Winterfell before, and now that you were here it was clear that the women of the North were more than willing to fight alongside the men. Lyanna Mormont was enough to make that clear to you. But they would need leadership, and most were uneasy following a man, given some of their failings in the art of war over the last few years. You had been more than happy to step into their place, taking over so quickly that it had startled a few of the men around you. There was no doubting that you were good at what you did. The women were rallying together in order to train themselves into the best warriors possible, and you were at the helm. "Let us stand together to defeat our common enemy," you continued, a smile pulling at your lips. "And when they have fallen, we will have proven ourselves as the fiercest warriors to ever live."

When Brienne entered the courtyard, she was shocked to find women filling every open space. In one corner, a young woman led sword training, teaching the correct way to hold and swing the weapon. In another, archery was being led by an older woman, who grinned with each arrow that met its target. And finally, her eyes found you, darting throughout the crowd sorting out armour. It was like something snapped into place the moment she saw you. There was the look in your eyes that left her breathless. A determination that she had only ever seen before in men.

You glanced up for a moment, your eyes meeting Brienne's, and you gave her a small smile. "Are you here for training, M'lady?" you called out, a smirk pulling at your lips as her eyes widened.

"I was wondering whether you could use another teacher," she managed to utter, and one of your eyebrows quirked at her.

You hummed for a moment. "We could always use more help. There's a group here with no sword experience, would you be able to take them through the basics?" 

Brienne nodded quickly. "Of course."

"Wonderful," you uttered, reaching out to pat her arm lightly. "That takes a weight off of my mind," you added as you took a step away. "Girls. This is Brienne of Tarth. She's incredible with a sword and she's going to be your new teacher," you called out to the women gathered together in front of you. "Do be kind."

You were gone a second later, leaving Brienne alone to start her lesson. You couldn't help but chuckle as you watched her grow more and more flustered. She'd only ever worked one on one before, and now she was attempting to teach twenty women in one go. You hadn't made it easy on her. 

*Time Skip*

You hadn't expected to meet resistance from the northern lords. You had always been under the impression that they were more forward thinking than the men in the South, but it seemed you had been wrong.

Of course, not all of them were opposed to your new position as the leader of the female division of Jon Snow's army. But some were, and they were vocal in their distaste. 

"You expect me to put a spear in my Granddaughters hand? You expect a little girl to fight?" He was red in the face, his jaw tight as he glared at you.

"I'm curious, Lord Glover," you uttered, a smile coming to your lips as you paused. "Have you asked your Granddaughters opinion on the matter?" There was a moment of silence as the man stared at you, pure hatred in his eyes. "No, I didn't imagine so."

"Remember your position, girl," he growled, rising to his feet with his eyes still fixed on you. 

You released a sigh, standing to match him as your tongue darted out to wet your lips. "I know your granddaughter, Lord Glover. She's a smart girl, and brilliant with a sword; far better than any of us expected of a girl from her background. If she wants to fight and protect her home, why shouldn't she be given the chance?" You paused for a moment, shaking your head. "None of these women are being forced to fight alongside you, M'lord. They are here because they want to be."