t w e n t y - t w o

---

Draco peeked behind the pillar and turned back around, giving Hermione a nod. “It’s empty, let’s go.” He whispered to her as he kept his hand attached to hers as they ran across the corridor. “I don’t think anyone’s here, let’s just make a run for it.” He suggested and quickly ran down the hall to where the stairs waited for their return. Hermione surprisingly stayed on track with Draco as she sped down the stairs with him. If and only if they hit the bottom of the staircase, they were safe.

“Miss Granger, Mister Malfoy.” A very familiar voice greeted them at the end of the staircase.

The couple immediately froze in their spots and dropped their shopping bag as they looked down at Professor McGonagall. The headmistress stood before them with a small smile, looking composed. They stepped off the last step together and immediately looked at their hands. They quickly threw themselves away from each other. “Professor.” They both greeted the headmistress with nervous glances.

“I suppose you two know where we’re headed next?” She asked as she smiled at them, which was eerie, considering the situation they were in.

Hermione gulped and looked at her professor with a frown. “O-of course, Professor.” She said as she lowered her head in shame.

Draco stayed poised and calm as he followed the headmistress down to her office. Hermione slowly dragged her feet, staying behind the two people. Before they knew it, they were both seated in front of Professor McGonagall.

“Now, what will the excuse be?” She asked as she looked at them with her sharp, sea green eyes.

“I, uh, the-there is no excuse, Professor.” Hermione spoke up as she looked her Professor straight in the eye. “I knew that sneaking out of school grounds would mean expulsion, but I just wanted to buy Christmas presents for a few . . . friends.” She admitted as she rolled up her fingers into a ball, her knuckles turning whiter than snow. “A, and also, it was my idea. I forced Dra—Malfoy to come with me.” She explained and sighed as she looked back down. “If anyone should be expelled, it . . . it should be me. That’s only fair.”

“And you, Mister Malfoy?” McGonagall pressed as she looked at Draco.

“I, well, what Her—Granger said is true. We went shopping for Christmas presents. She wanted to come back as soon as possible after the shopping was done but I, being a well—a Slytherin, I convinced her to just stay at Hogsmeade until nightfall.” He told his professor with a sigh. “I take blame for staying out so late. You should expel me instead.”

“Yes, that’s very interesting.” McGonagall started and lightly laughed. She raised her wand and shot a non-verbal spell at the door and soon the door opened to reveal a large room. “Please come out.” She said calmly and out walked Ginny, Harry, and Blaise. “Please do make sure to be discreet when you sneak out next time. Word spread around that you five were seen sneaking out.” She told them and warmly smiled at them. “I would have expelled each and every one of you, but that would take a lot of explaining to do and I would be throwing out five talented witches and wizards. You five showed house unity at last and seeing that all five of you asked to be expelled instead of the other—Professor Dumbledore would’ve liked to finally see house unity amongst the four houses.” She explained and got up. “I will not be expelling anyone in this room. But—“ She said and sternly glared at each of them. “That does not mean you aren’t in any trouble. 100 points from both houses and you five will be cleaning the classrooms after dinner for two weeks after this break.”