Wolves

Holy shit!!! 10.8K words!!! I'm shocked. This is the longest chapter I've written 😱 I hope you'll enjoy it. Let me know what you think about this one and what you expect for the next one! - Allie.

.

Reyna used to fear the woods. She had heard many creepy tales about it as a child and there was nothing worse than a little girl's imagination. As she grew up, however, she learned that there were worse fears than imaginary monsters. Real monsters were the ones you saw every day in human forms, and so she always felt safer when she was alone.

It was different with Harry. She had enjoyed his company more than any other, and the trip had been pleasant until he ruined it with a stupid kiss. Her mother had always talked about how magical the first kiss would be if it was given to the right person. "No matter how clumsy, simple, or crazy it is, nothing else would ever compare. And even if you've never been kissed before, you'd just know you would never experience something like this again with anyone else."

Reyna kept replaying those words inside her head when she ran from the house. She could not believe she had lost her first kiss to someone who didn't even want it. And the worst part was, she had felt exactly how her mother had described.

No, don't be stupid, she told herself, you barely know this man. He's still hung up on someone else, possibly the true love of his life. So don't even think about it.

The howling of the wolves in the distance pulled Reyna out of her thoughts. She slowed her horse, feeling the darkness drawing closer and gradually engulfing the two of them. She and Thunder had gone pretty far from the village and she had no idea where they were now. The silvery moon was obscured by the full branches above and she had to squint in order to see the path they were on.

"I think we've gone far enough, boy," Reyna told Thunder as they stopped to navigate. "If we die today, it's Harry Styles' fault."

Thunder pawed the ground as if to agree and Reyna pulled the reins, turning the gelding around. She'd only run into the woods to be alone and maybe give Harry a good scare. She hoped he felt guilty about what he'd done. Being hurt by someone he loved was not an excuse to hurt someone else who cared about him.

She kicked her horse and followed the same path back to the village, head filled with many different scenarios for when she saw Harry again, what she would say or do to him. Maybe she shouldn't say or do anything at all. Maybe a silent treatment was exactly what he deserved.

Satisfied with the thought, she raced faster. She could finally see the lights in Stefan's house, thinking she would get there in no time. But all of a sudden, Thunder reared and neighed loudly. The princess was thrown right off his back. Her body hit the snow. She groaned in pain and struggled to sit up, but the first thing she saw was a big white wolf jumping right at her. She screamed. The beast howled and collapsed right on top of the princess as an arrow went straight into its head.

"Peach!"

"Harry!"

Stefan arrived on Lighting with Harry and shot down another one so Harry could get off and help Reyna. She pushed the animal's body off her just in time another wolf jumped in. Thunder killed it with a hard kick in the throat, rearing and neighing aggressively to scare off the rest of the pack and protect his rider.

Reyna's head was still spinning. Somehow she managed to draw out her sword and take down another wolf before Harry grabbed her by the arm and helped her get on Lightning's back.

"What are you doing?!" she screamed when he let go. Stefan held her tightly as she attempted to jump off while Harry told them to go without him.

"Wait, stop! Stop! We cannot leave Harry!"