Chapter 4: Pranks

Chapter 4
Gloss Kaiser Schlund
Pranks

        Getting up so early in the morning pisses me off. I've made my bed, organized things and cleaned my room. I thought about packing my clothes, leave for a few days, stay at my friend's house so I could think with peace. The aura around the house was thick it's starting to suffocate me. I can't look at mom in the eyes. In fact, I can't look at her face, or even her shadow. I know I didn't text her, and she got worried about me, about my condition. But she didn't let me explain myself. So I woke up early, at exactly 4:44 in the morning, I was already at school.

        So I was at school, staring into the sky with emotions swarming in the pit of my stomach. I didn't bother to go my classes, I was just at the back of the school, my body was slumped against Mr. Tree. We call the tree Mr. Tree because it, according to the people here, is more than 100 years old tree. And my Dad used to say that when you call a man Mister, it means old enough. I didn't get him at first, but I eventually did. Mom was a distraction to that. Because my mom always call me mister whenever she's angry, or whenever I'm in trouble, or whenever I did something wrong. The time passed by quickly, and I was still here, not bothering to move, even though the warning bell has rung 2 hours ago.

        Night.

        The stars on the dark sky are shining brightly, twinkling happily as it gives light to the place. The lights are off, the place around me is dark. The soft breeze of air flying around the area. It makes me shiver. Getting up, dusting myself, since it's late, I decide to go home. I hope people in the house are already sleeping. I just don't want to deal with them. Richard's sympathy looks. Mom's apologies. Noah's bullying.

        As I step inside the house, I think 'maybe not' because Noah, Richard and Mom are fully awake, watching TV together. They all have a worry expressions on their faces. I look at Noah and immediately frown. God, what's with his face?

        He lifts his head up and decides to look at my way, sadness swarming in his eyes. But then it disappears as it lands on my green eyes. Mom looks up and sees me, her eyes are puffy and red. She's been crying. At the sight of her like that, I immediately hate myself for it. She stands up as soon as she sees me and makes her way towards me. I refuse to look at her in the eyes. As she is about to caress my cheek with the back of her hand, I quickly head upstairs and slam my room's door shut. I put myself on bed, just staring at the ceiling.

        My room's door opens, the door creaking, sound of light footsteps filling the room. It's Richard.

        For about 5 minutes, nobody speaks. Nobody dares to break the silence. Neither of us speaks. This kind of situation is awkward. Richard and I are not totally close, but he always tries his best to get along with me, and so far, he's doing great.

        "Look, I know your mother is wrong about hurting you," he says softly. "And I know that she regrets hurting you. But you can't just block her out. To be honest, I'm kinda hurt that you're blocking me, too."

        "I'm not blocking you," I counter, my voice is monotone. No emotions. Lifeless. Nothing.

        "But you're ignoring me. Us." Richard says as he shifts his body, to look at me. His eyes tell something. "Look, I know that I'm not your father. Or not as great as your father. But... like it or not, I want to be your dad. I know I can never replace your father, but I will do everything so you can look at me as what I want, and that is to be your father. Forget, Gloss. Forgive. We are a family here. Family forgives each other. Family helps each other. Mostly, family loves each other. Ohana."