Chapter 44: Shadow of Naginata Blades

"You clearly know I am the one Soma can count on for protection!" Saito bluntly said, sprinting at Souji.

Clang!

Souji and Saito's sharp katanas blocked each other's attack. Sweat were visible on their forehead but even if they look tired, the determination in their eyes can be seen easily. None of them clearly wanted to admit defeat. Their subordinates started to gather around the training ground where they are sparring.

"I know." Souji whispered, leaning close at the fuming Saito. "But arent you ashamed loving your own sister?" he even chuckled before stepping back, ready for another attack.

Saito knew his next move, he quickly used his katana as a shield to block the incoming attack aiming at his head. "You have no rights to judge me first unit captain Souji Okita!"

"Im your senior, third unit captain!" Souji said in a mocking tone. His opponent exerted more strength which shocked him thus quickly retreating back but after doing so, Saito ran at him then spinned around for a continuous onslaught without stopping.

Souji kept blocking every incoming attack but because Saito is getting much faster and exerting more strength while directing more of it at Souji's arm, the hidden assault was completely out of Souji's sight, aiming at his neck.

But before Saito can even successfully make a small cut, a small pebble was sent at his wrist, creating a deep scratch as blood gushed in a puny amount. It was the hand he used in holding the sword, he let go of it since pain occupied his thoughts.

Souji is not spared when a dark shadow behind him used its hand to knock him unconscious. He unwillingly let his sight get blurry while speck of dusts danced around him.

Looking up, Saito is not shock the slightest seeing their vice commander. The mismatched pair of eyes narrowed at him, sending chills to Saito. The second male lead is more superior than the third male lead though.

Hijikita Toushirou bent down to pick up the unconscious Souji. He went past Saito but before leaving, he stopped beside him.

"Whatever caused this fight, I wont care but be mindful. You used a killing skill during the fight. What will Kondo think if you even dare to murder a unit captain?" Hijikita didnt bother to glance at the cold looking Saito then bumped his shoulder.

Kaozue stepped in the crowd and saw how Hijikita indiffrently treated Saito. Of course, as how Yun Ren Xie narrated their fate, Kaozue is always there to help the person with the same temparament as him.

"Here." Kaozue took out a handkerchief and handed it to Saito.

Albeit his pale appearance caused by blood lost, Saito did not move but raised a brow. "Fine. I'll tie it." Kaozue gave up and pulled Saito's wounded wrist. He gently used the handkerchief while wrapping it around the bleeding part.

"Look, how come you offended the demon?" Kaozue snickered, still focusing in aiding Saito.

Hidden from his view, Saito let out a slight smirk. He really wanted to kick Kaozue, too close, he was just too damn close! As his eyes wander around the crowd, few of them retracted their gaze while some started to suspect if they were gay.

Good! His day is really ruined! First, Soma came out with Souji. Second, his vice commander just blamed him. And lastly, he was being slandered as a gay...... far from the real him. What is there not to be offended of? His inner demons were telling him to hit his commander but the sun is still brimming brightly, not a good chance to commit crime. A devious smirk only escaped his lips.

"Eh? Did Unit Captain just smile?"

"Say, did they start liking each other?"

"It cant be Commander Kaozue is a gay. Might be Unit Captain?"

The whispering continued, none of them expected that Saito can still hear it. On the other side, Kaozue dont have such stronger hearing than Saito, thus not quiet undestanding what his subordinates were whispering.

-----------------------------

To cool of his head, Saito decided to walk outside the camp. Kyoto is still lively, lots of people are outside, enjoying the sweet sights. Just before he left, Saito changed his clothes to normal one's. He just used a dark coloured kimono but its silk were out of normal, the belt he used to wrap around his waist were pure white.

Every person who can see him can only think he is a rich daimyo's favored son, his facial features were sharp, those dark pair of pools were emotionless, a perfect ideal man for every lady around. Women started to stop what they are doing as they only stared at the deity-like young man. Most of them describe him inside their thought as a dark angel, totally perfect in their eyes.

He continued to walk without bothering the look everyone is throwing him. Some women wanted to flirt with him and some wants to know him. Men of course are angry but few of them turned opposite to their gender.

'Do they have to look at me like that?!' Saito screamed in his thoughts. It was actually awkward being stared that way. His eyes wandered around the stalls, looking for some gifts to buy for his sister. A stall selling flowers caught his eyes. An old lady with a fifteen year old granddaughter is the owner of it.

"What does this young master wants?" the old lady asked while smiling.

Saito doesnt know what to buy for Soma. He rarely knew anything his sister likes and despised. The old lady can tell the man in front of them is hesitating on something.

"Here, surely the girl will like this flower." the old lady tittered while showing Saito a bouquet of red camellia to him. He was pleased by the beauty of it howbeit still thinking what if Soma doesnt like it?

"Madam, will she really like it?" he asked. The young girl beside the old lady started to envy who this boy's lover.

Its not only her, even the other females that took a liking at him started to feel down. The old lady let out a small laugh. "Surely! She will love it too, young boy!"

A smile formed from his lips, capturing every heart. He bought the camellia then proceeded his walk.

"Oniisan! Oniisan! Look! I want that flute over there!" a girl within ten years of age pulled her big brother to a shop, pointing at a jade flute.

Saito stopped and watched the pair of siblings, the big brother refused to buy it since it was expensive. The little girl pouted and showed a pitiful face. Such a cute girl, the big brother of course regretted what he said earlier. Coaxing the child with candies and food and it actually worked.

The child made Saito think of Soma. He went inside the shop and bought the jade flute.

Yun Ren Xie woke up, she guessed its already three in the afternoon and felt hungry somehow. She went to the kitchen only to find a fresh set of aromatic and exquisite food.

"Who could have made this?!" her eyes glimmered with excitement. But before she could even take a bite, Saito opened the door and both of them stopped. Staring at each other as if red-handed in crime.