27 | the fate of the hearts

| meliorism |
chapter twenty-seven
❝ the descendent ❞

| meliorism |chapter twenty-seven❝ the descendent ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

Rhena felt nervous, even though it was the second time she was going to set foot in that office. It made her stomach turn and her head spin, but she still tighten the grip of her bag on her shoulder and walked towards it.

    Because her next session was right after work, she only had to take one bus and walk a small distance to get there, but it had to be alone. She didn't mind, the fresh air could help her clear her head. Especially with the conversation she had with her father the night before. It definitely made her think, but he had promised more details when her training began, which made her expectingly.

There wasn't many people walking in the sidewalks, it never was. So slowly, she walked with calmness in her steps to the building where the office resided. She kept her head down, not wanting to lock eyes with anyone, fearing that her expressions were too loud.

As she continued walking, she felt a presence near her. She became stiff and alert, trying to go over options in her head as to what to do. But just as the person behind her moved from there to being next to her, it allowed her to take a look and see who it was.

When she looked up, she was greeted by a very elegant dressed man, his hair nicely brushed with a powerful look on his face. She frowned, feeling something familiar about him. Then, it hit her when he looked over at her with a smile.

"Elijah?" she questioned, just to be sure. Apparently she was right, because the man's smile became wider when realizing she remembered him.

"Hello, Rhena" Elijah nodded as a greeting, and the two completely stopped walking to face each other.

    Rhena released a breath and leaned over, causing the two to embrace tightly. Because he was larger than her, his arms wrapped around her perfectly, and she couldn't help but admit she missed it. Elijah then released her and put his hands on her shoulders, smiling down at her.

    "What are you doing here?" she asked excitedly, looking up at him with an old sense of curiosity. It felt good to see someone she used to know.

"I'm in town doing business" he left it at that, knowing she was not a nosy person to ask for more information "how've you been, little one?"

"I'm good" she nodded with a light smile, feeling how his hands left her shoulders.

"Where we you heading?" Elijah motion for them to continue walking. She matched his pace, putting her hands in her jacket as he walked with his hands behind his back.