Chapter 39 - Old Friends

"Counting days, counting days since my love up and got lost on me,

And every breath that I've been takin' since you left feels like a waste on me,

I've been holding on to hope that you'll come back when you can find some peace."

Sierra's POV

Sierra's POV

It's been 3 weeks since I left the hospital... Since I left him. I would be lying if I said it's been easy because it hasn't. This kind of pain is like no other that I've ever known. Not having him, knowing he's not mine... It pierces me deeply. Especially when you love someone so much that you have no control over those feelings.

I have nights where I regret letting him go. My world crumbles around me and the pain crushes me, making me wonder if it's too late to turn around and go back. Would he even still want me? Has he moved on already?

He was the only safe haven that I ever truly knew and at this moment I feel exposed, vulnerable and completely lost without him. I was so strong all my life, walking around like I could do it all on my own, that I never realized how much I needed him to complete me... To complete my heart, until now.

However, each night before I close my eyes, I remind myself of my mistakes. I remind myself of the pain I brought to his life. I remind myself that I'm doing this so he can be truly happy without the boundaries, or lingering pasts that hinder his growth. Find his future and see the world.

I've been traveling west from New York, but I've been stopping in random remote towns for a night or two. If I know him like I do, he would be searching for me still. However, he will eventually give up.

I've just arrived in Cali, Mexico being further south but close by. I decided to make a short stop and visit an old friend of mine. One who knows quite a bit of my past, apart from the murdering people on the side bits. I shook my head, as the state of my life astounded me. How far I let it all go.

Lexi used to live in Mexico in her teenage years, her father being Mexican. We went to school together for a few years before she moved away. I haven't seen her in nearly 9 years, but the sweet girl still sends me messages wishing me well. I've never replied, afraid of getting too close to people. I guess I was also so consumed with hatred and the wrong ambitions too.

I walked into a club that she worked at. It was absolutely exquisite, modern looking and appealing. It was still early so I was surprised when I managed to open the door, half expecting to wait outside for her. The door creaked a little before shutting itself as I entered.

"I'm sorry, we're not open yet." A woman by the bar spoke loudly, her back towards me.

"I'm aware. I was just looking for someone." I cautiously made my way towards the bar. The second I finished speaking the woman shot her body around to face me.