Chapter Thirty-eight

A few days later Beth had managed to allow all of us maids to have an audience with the men of Beardsley in the front hall. We also convinced Rhiannon to tell them about her blood relation to Olive. Even Beth's blood relation to Elias, since she decided she would be returning home with Rachel Mondeschein.

They were in the drawing room again, like the first time we saw them.

"What's this meeting for?" Silas demanded to know. Tobias and Eugene simply looked at him together, in silence, eyes not so friendly. Silas frowned but didn't question it further.

The twins sat down together at a couch and the two children stood in the middle of the room. Olive hid behind Elias, unaware of why he was called for.

"Am I in trouble?" he whispered to Elias, eyes wide.

Elias, who stood by his side, shook his head and patted his younger brother's head. "Nope. You have a surprise for you."

"A good one?"

"Yes."

Before long, Clo let go of Rhiannon's hand—she was holding it for support—and nodded firmly.

"You can do it."

Still wavering, Rhiannon rubbed her arms, then crossed it, and finally looked at all the masters, sitting in the couch or in chairs, who nodded in approval, before she stepped forward to Olive. She tucked her long skirt under her before she bent down and met with him, eye to eye.

"Good evening," she whispered, "Olive."

Olive tried to hide behind Elias, making Elias turn sideways and gently shove him forward.

"Don't be afraid," he said. Rhiannon gulped before speaking.

"Do you remember me?"

"You are the maid," Olive said.

Rhiannon pulled back, and stood up. She turned to face us, and her eyes were wet.

Immediately, all of us ran to her.

"He doesn't remember me," she whispered. "I didn't realize it would pain me so much."

There was silence, and then she pressed her hands to her eyes and hunched over, blonde braid falling around her shoulder like a golden noose.

"I'm such a child." Her voice was foreign. Not at all like the always monotonous and unfeeling Rhiannon we knew. We saw the Rhiannon that was a cousin, that had an alcoholic father, who grew up depending on herself. A girl who only wanted was to be with her only remaining family member again.

"You're not." Clo drew her into her bosom and patted her head. "It's natural to feel sad. But don't be discouraged: you can always start over as long as you find him again."

Rhiannon peeked up at Clo, and for the first time, they seem to match their ages.

"Yes. You're right." Rhiannon gripped Clo's hand, and then turned back to Olive. She took small breaths before speaking again, voice unsteady.

"Olive, I am Rhiannon. Your cousin."

Olive only cocked his head to one side, eyes wide with confusion, not speaking. Rhiannon continued.

"When we were children, we played together. I read you books." With each word, she seemed to grow more weak, and had to choke out the following. "It's fine that you don't remember. I simply want to tell you." She smiled, but her knuckles were white as she gripped Clo's hand.

"You mean to tell me Miss Rhiannon is Olive's cousin?" Silas rested his hand on his forehead. "What a terrible turn of events. I never thought it was a good idea to adopt Olive." I gasped. We all turned to look at Olive, who looked down at his shoes.