━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗹𝘅𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter sixty-one: pryde and prejudice (and pilots)█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter sixty-one: pryde and prejudice (and pilots)
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter sixty-one: pryde and prejudice (and pilots)█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

     INDIRA OFFICIALLY HATES KELVAN PRIME. Their new backwater base planet is nothing short of a miserable wasteland where all things go to die. The atmosphere — though breathable — is dry and frigid, leaving lips chapped and skin cracked. And even though there's no snow, the temperature is so kriffing cold that the ground beneath their feet remains permanently frozen all year long; regardless of the season. Worst of all is the planet's orbital rotation, which allows them only a few sparing hours of daylight each cycle before the world is plunged back into darkness again. Maz Kanata had warned them that their new base HQ might not be the most pleasant of locations, but even then Indira hadn't been envisioning a subzero nightmare that rivaled the frozen depths of hell.

She had never missed D'Qar more than she does now.

Thankfully, she isn't the only one dissatisfied with their lodgings. Rey, who grew up on a desert world, is constantly cold and shivering. Poe, whose home planet is nothing less than a sauna, complains often and loudly about the change in climate. And even Leia, who once braved the glacial winters of Hoth, admits that their situation isn't ideal. Within hours of their arrival, she orders Commander D'Acy to begin scouring their available resources to find them a new base as soon as possible.

All in all, the Resistance has seen better days. The constant cold and lack of daylight seems to affect everyone, settling over them like a heavy fog that dampens spirits and lowers troop morale. The sooner they leave Kelvan Prime, the better. But in the meantime, there's nothing to be done except for soldiering onwards, so everyone makes the best of their circumstances.

The Resistance sets up camp inside an abandoned military base, establishing shields and booting up their communications network. Rations are divided amongst the soldiers and quarters are assigned for everyone to sleep in and then it's back to business as usual as they fall in line with the mechanical grind of wartime. Most days, Indira feels bone-weary and numb as she goes through the motions of her routine. Her favorite time of day is during mealtimes, when everyone huddles close together and shares their body heat while they eat, because it's when she feels warmest.