Chapter Forty

When we finished eating, the children ran around playing tag and hide and seek, with the twins, Beth, Clo, and even Rhiannon. I stayed behind at the same table with Eugene and Tobias.

"It's been a long time since I've been outside," Eugene mused. "I finally remember how stuffy the house is."

"I can't deny that," Tobias mumbled.

"Why do you and the rest of them always stay cooped up inside?" he asked him. "I don't think it's good for Olive and Elias, with them been so young. They should be running around like now."

We turned, all three of us, to look at the children, and indeed, they were smiling and ruddy-cheeked, unlike how they were in the house: pale and quiet.

"That's simply the way we grew up," Tobias whispered.

"But what about now? There's nothing holding you all back anymore."

Tobias turned to look at Eugene.

"The boys wouldn't go out to town or the park and play if that meant leaving you here all alone, Eugene." His eyes were sincere. "And I wouldn't, too."

Eugene was quiet, then I thought I saw something melancholic on his face.

"When everything gets settled, and if one of us is the heir, and not Silas," Eugene whispered, "we can start foremost by changing the lifestyle of the twins and the children. Get them accustomed to the outside world, and maybe even see if they would like going to school."

"I wonder about that," Tobias said. Then he turned to Harper and asked, "Harper, how are the children doing recently, if you don't mind me asking?"

Harper smiled, and for a moment I thought he was a different person.

"Olive has been a great deal happier. Elias is very mature: he takes care of Olive, and often helps him with reading and writing."

Clo and Rhiannon stopped by, faces rosy from the running.

"Yes," Clo said, laughing, "they make their beds now, making my job much easier. And they don't leave their things scattered around."

"Really?" Rhiannon smiled. "I'm glad."

"Having the maid was a great help," Harper told Eugene. "It helps the children to know their is an actual loving person cleaning after their mess, and they feel guilty."

"You've taught them well, Harper," Eugene said.

"Thank you, Master Eugene."

"Are you and Miss Clo on close terms, if you don't mind me asking?" Eugene had on a devious smile, and Clo made a face.

"Absolutely not!"

"Really? It seems that way to me."

"And me, too!" Beth popped up from behind us, disheveled and grinning. She had grabbed Olive from behind and he was held in her clutches like a criminal, and trembling. "And I found you, Olive! I win!" She released him, and he immediately ran away, back to Rhiannon.

"We both like children, so we became friends over that," Harper answered, ignoring Clo, who only got more frustrated.

"We aren't friends, only staff who work in the same house!"

"Anyways, it's getting dark, maybe we should go back in the house," Rhiannon advised, Olive holding her hand and the twins following.

"Yes, that's a good idea," Mister Kupka said. "Girls, you'll bring in the dishes, and we men will bring the tables inside. The masters can get changed for dinner, and Harper, go help the children get dressed."