XLII ; babe with the power

* * *

            ELARA STRUGGLED TO BREAK FREE OF THE ENCHANTMENT SET OVER HER. wormtail approached harry, who scrambled to find his feet, to support his own weight before the ropes were untied. wormtail raised his new silver hand, pulled out the wad of material gagging harry, and then, with one swipe, cut through the bonds tying harry to the gravestone.

            elara wanted nothing more than to grab harry and make a run for it, but his injured leg shook under him as he stood on the overgrown grave, as the death eaters closed ranks, forming a tighter circle around harry, invisible elara and voldemort, so that the gaps where the missing death eaters should have stood were filled. wormtail walked out of the circle to the place where cedric's body lay and returned with harry's wand, which he thrust roughly into harry's hand without looking at him. then wormtail resumed his place in the circle of watching death eaters.

            if elara could interfere, she'd've killed wormtail where he stood.

            "you have been taught how to duel, harry potter?" said voldemort softly, his red eyes glinting through the darkness.

            the only time any student at hogwarts was taught how to duel was in second-year, but they were taught by a daft dimbo who lost his mind months later.

            "we bow to each other, harry," said voldemort, bending a little, but keeping his snakelike face upturned to harry. "come, the niceties must be observed. . . . dumbledore would like you to show manners. . . . bow to death, harry. . . ."

            elara snarled as the death eaters started laughing again. voldemort's lipless mouth was smiling. harry did not bow. in a fit of anger, elara picked up a stone at her feet, and hurled it with all her strength at voldemort. it flew, and instead of flying through him, the stone hit his robes and fell to the ground with a thud. he turned around, frowining, before deciding it was more fun to play with harry.

            "i said, bow," voldemort said, raising his wand — and harry's spine curved as though a huge, invisible hand were bending him ruthlessly forward, and the death Eaters laughed harder than ever.

            content with how her last outburst turned out. elara began to pick up rocks and hurl them at the death eaters. not so much as to alert voldemort, but softly enough to make them think they were losing their minds.

            "very good," said voldemort softly, and as he raised his wand the pressure bearing down upon harry lifted too. "and now you face me, like a man . . . straight-backed and proud, the way your father died. . . .