Chapter 7 - Red Dawn

By midday, the whole area was ablaze with heat. The sun held steady in the sky, a promise of the sunburns to come if they stayed outside for too long.

Everybody had just finished their games and were having an outside break before they were consumed by the gymnasium walls.

In this sultry heat, Akaashi knew nothing to do but to head immediately to the basin and wash his face.

As he turned on the spigot, the water rushed hot over his already torrid hands, being held in the pipes all day.

He waited till it ran its course, emptying all the built up water. But as much as it cooled down, it still fell lukewarm, and he had no choice but to wash the warm sweat off his face with even more warm water.

It was fine, at least he'd be semi clean.

Although he wasn't sure what to do about the bangs sticking to his forehead.

They only seemed to get curlier with the combined heat and moisture. He swore he had a small ringlet near the nape of his neck.

God forbid he let Konoha near him, or else he'd surely spend the next few hours playing with it and twirling it over his finger as Akaashi batted him away.

"Heya, curly fry".

Akaashi paused with his hands scrubbing over his face.

He leant forward and turned off the tap, standing up to meet Kuroos gaze. He sighed, pulling his sleeve across his face to wipe away the water.

"Rooster head" Akaashi acknowledged him whilst wiping his hands off on the sides of his shorts.

"I've been called worse" Kuroo shrugged, grin lighting up his face.

"As have I" Akaashi cocked an eyebrow.

"Walk with me?" Kuroo asked, gesturing the way back to the gymnasium.

"I guess I have no other choice, unless I want to run across the roof top of the buildings" Akaashi clicked his tongue as Kuroo chuckled, and the two of them started off down the path.

"So, last night" Kuroo started.

"Ah yes sorry for drawing on your face. I felt a little revengeful and I admit it was childish of me to do so" Akaashi nodded.

"Wh-" Kuroo stumbled over his own feet as he came to a stop in the path. "That was you!?".

"Oh...No." Akaashi pursed his lips.

"Anyways, anyways, last night, you didn't tell him, no?" Kuroo asked.

"As you once told me. If Bokuto knew, then we would surely know"

"Then what was all that, hmm?" Kuroo gestured at seemingly nothing. "Lion king references aside, I could literally taste the love in the air".

"Have I ever told you how gross I think you are" Akaashi deadpanned.

"No, but with the looks you've been giving me, you didn't have to" Kuroo grinned.

Akaashi twisted his mouth around. It would be nice to talk to someone who understood the situation, to a degree.

Although, he didn't think it would be wise to try when he hadn't even figured out his problems yet.

"Last night we just talked, and it was nice" Akaashi shrugged.

"And" Kuroo drew out the word.

"And we held hands, and the moon winked at us and the gods gave us a blessing. We have three children now. Bokuto wants to name one of them Daniel, and I hate it".