boy in love

She was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen.

I had originally gone over to meet her because my mother had told me to be friendly. 7 year old me was pretty shy, so my mom thought that sending me to greet the new neighbors would help me. I guess she was right, like she always is.

Standing in front of me was a girl slightly shorter than me with long silky jet black hair and milk chocolate brown eyes. The prettiest shade of brown I'd ever seen even to this day. I still can't help but compare everyone else's eyes to hers.

I remember turning pink and looking down at the pink daisies in my hand, rethinking everything I'd ever know.

'Maybe if i run home now I'll be safe. Safe from whatever it is I'm feeling right now.'

No. Instead, I invited her over to my house to play and became her first friend. Looking at Brooke and Sena smile at each other, my inner conflict was resided. I loved Brooke, but even at age 7 i could tell that it would never be more than a brother-sister-best friend kinda love.

But as i looked at Sena's chocolate brown eyes full of happiness and excitement, I knew she was it. This girl was my soulmate, sent to me from the heavens. I wanted to take this slow and not mess it up.

So for now, she was just my friend. Best friend to be specific.

***

After that, I remember spending the whole summer just playing with each other and getting to know Sena. When school rolled around in September, Brooke and Sena were in the same class, but I got put in a different class across the hall, much to my dismay. Sena tried to interact with others but Brooke was so afraid of losing her and having to make another new friend that she told Sena no one would like her, and to just stick with her. I remember being so upset with Brooke for that, I didn't talk to her for a good week and it probably would have lasted longer if Sena hadn't begged me to forgive her. Sena was always the glue to our friend group.

The rest of our 2nd grade flew by so fast, and before we knew it we were heading straight into 3rd grade. The amount of school work we got doubled but so did the fun we had. I remember that I told the whole school that Sena and I were married, so all her teachers jokingly started calling her Mrs. Kang. I never let her live that down. She would turn red every time I mentioned it. It was adorable.

Eventually, our elementary years were over and middle school dawned on us. I had to watch as so many guys flirted with my best friends and seeing Sena with other guys made me jealous. I started telling the guys I knew not to go near Sena because she was mine and to spread the word. I had satisfied myself, but Sena started to tell herself that she was not pretty enough or good enough because no one talked to her anymore. She never let us see or know how she felt because she didn't want to seem annoying, but Brooke and I could tell it was hurting her inside. Brooke and I picked up on the fact relatively quickly and I felt terrible. Whenever someone came to sit with us at lunch, Sena would immediately stop talking and stare at her hands. But she never noticed that all the guys that came to talk to Brooke ended up staring at her instead of Brooke.

In 8th grade, Sena started distancing herself from us and turned to her best friend from Korea, Minjee. Sena and Minjee talked a lot during those times. She told Minjee that she felt like Brooke and I didn't need her anymore and that she wanted to go back to Korea to be with her. She loved Chicago but she didn't want to feel alone or unwanted anymore. Minjee texted me about it one night and I was heartbroken. Had I made her feel that way? Or had it been Brooke? Turns out it was my telling the guys to back off that had made her feel like she was not wanted here. I felt so disgusted with myself, how could I do this to someone I loved? I walked to her house that night and told her everything along with a heartfelt apology. Sena forgave me with a big, warm smile and told me everything she had been feeling. I had to admit, it felt good to talk instead of keeping it inside, and she agreed. Things were good again and I couldn't be happier.