Chapter 19

"I sincerely apologise," Salma muttered, her eyes glued to the dusty floor of the household she loathed the most.

A long silence followed, and just as Salma looked up, she caught the mocking sneer Jafr gave her before his face contorted into a sympathetic expression.

"Oh, Salma," he breathed. "I'll always have the heart to forgive you,"

Salma fought hard to stop her fist from meeting his face.

"Mama, please? Will you forgive my dear Salma? I'm sure it was a misunderstanding," he fake-pleaded giving the soppiest look to his mother, who finally steered her scowl away from Salma.

"But Habeebi, she doesn't deserve you," his mother replied, cupping her grown son's cheeks as if he were anything but, completely ignoring the fact that Salma stood before them with her foster parents by her side.

Despite not meaning it, Salma was not going to apologise again. Once was enough, and if his mother was still not happy, she wouldn't mind for not marrying Jafr would make her the happiest.

"Mama, I beg of you, "Jafr appealed, dramatically dropping to his knees.  "I could never come to love anyone just as I have for Salma,"

Instantly, his mother followed, cradling him in her arms.

Salma scoffed, earning a pinch on her arm from her foster mother.

This man couldn't be serious. When they were younger, Jafr was known to have a swaying heart, expressing his dying love for a new girl every week and he had definitely not changed nine years later.

Of course, Salma had to be his most recent and last victim, unless he was planning to continue after they got married. She mentally shook her head of such vile thoughts.

"Oh, my poor son!" His mother continued stroking his head, as he started making whimpering sounds.

Salma and her foster parents just watched awkwardly from where they stood.

"Fine, if we must for the sake of our son," his father hissed, pulling up his wife and weak-legged son. "We shall oblige to his choice. Despite our disapproval, we will let Salma marry him,"

Wasn't it the other way round?

Why were his parents making it seem like he were the woman?!

"We are eternally grateful for your kindness!" Salma's foster mother beamed, stepping forward.

"I and my wife will always be thankful for the compassion your son has towards Salma," Her foster father continued, shaking Jafr's father's hand.

Salma couldn't even bear to look at them. For the sake of their happiness, she would have to sacrifice her own, even if it meant living her entire life in torture.

"If not for our son, we would have not even bothered with a sla-girl like you," Umm Jafr squawked. "I'll be keeping a close eye on you,"

Before she could pull the woman's hair out, Jafr prowled towards her.

"Habeebati," came his slimy voice, before a strong grip pulled at her hands. Salma attempted to free herself but his grip was tightly wrapped around her own. "You don't know how happy I am to be marrying you,"

"Let go, you shouldn't be doing this." Salma gritted through her teeth. His hold was starting to become painful.

"Just know that no matter what happens, I will always be by your side," he taunted, crushing her hands and giving her a scummy smile.

"Jafr," added her foster father, thankfully motioning to their hands. "I understand that you are pleased, but we must keep up to our Islamic teachings,"