Chapter 17

Krey stormed towards the building. "Follow me," he demanded to Sid and Jordan, taking the extra time to stare at Jordan until he dropped his gaze. Krey moved fast through the maze-like corridors until they reached the meeting room.

A large oak table looked small in the middle of such a big room. Wall length windows covered the wall opposite the door. The lights from Crescent Town glistened in the distance. Krey's first thought was about Pip. He hoped he was warm and happy at home. Krey rested a hand on his chest as Jordan and Sid sat at the table.

Krey knew Pip was okay, somehow. The bond was strengthening.

"Alpha, is Francis really your mate?" Sid asked.

Krey's brown glare peeled from the window and to Sid's red hair. Krey could have sworn his hair was blue last week. "Southern wolves are just two miles away. We have more important things to discuss." Krey glared at Jordan as he spoke.

Sid opened the laptop as Krey moved to the window. He stared out at the wolves all around the grounds, guarding their territory.

"Have they moved closer than two miles?" Krey asked.

"No, Alpha. I think they're looking for trouble but don't want to be the ones to start it."

Krey rubbed his chin, feeling stubble. "Jordan, what do you think?"

His Beta stopped lounging on the chair. "Uh, yeah, I agree with Sid."

Krey narrowed his eyes, looking deep into the dark forest. Southern wolves hadn't been so dangerously close in months. The last time they invaded, Krey lost his father.

They got their revenge, so why were they back?

"They want something," Krey mumbled, tapping his chin. "Sid, go with twenty other wolves and ask what they want."

"What if they attack?" Sid asked.

"They won't. I smell around twenty wolves. Almost sixty live here." Krey turned to face Sid. "Find out why they dare to come this close."

Sid nodded once and hurried from the room, leaving Krey and Jordan alone. The air quickly tensed. Krey stared at the scars on his face, the scars Jordan got from protecting his father in a fight, many years ago. Krey didn't feel the same loyalty.

He stood, waiting, hoping Jordan would say something to lessen the tension between them. Jordan said nothing, Krey said nothing.

Krey was almost ten years younger than Jordan, but age shouldn't have been a problem between them. Krey was Alpha, Jordan was Beta, they were supposed to work in sync. Krey barely spoke to Jordan when his father was still the Alpha. Jordan obviously didn't enjoy taking Krey's orders.

Jordan's scarred eye held bruises from Krey's fist. Krey looked down to his hand. His knuckles were coated in bruises from Jordan's face. No Alpha and Beta relationship should be so unreliable. Their relationship made the pack uneasy.

Krey could walk away. He could turn rogue and leave the stress and responsibilities behind, but his mother was right, his father had worked hard to make Crescent pack the best. Krey, deep down, didn't want to destroy his hard work.

At the same time, Krey believed he deserved to fail and mess everything up. A dramatic fall into a pool of bad luck was what Krey thought he deserved. Pippor Monty was too good for him. Krey didn't know why his mate arrived when he was at his worst.

Krey turned back to the window. He stared at the stars and thought that maybe Pip arrived to save him. That's not fair, Krey thought, because I'll ruin his life. Pip deserves so much better.