Chapter 142: YXH X

People tell me Bleak Night is unlivable.

The cold air makes the sect unbearable like a continuous winter.

What do I care?

Warmth? Cold? Even the changing seasons never made a difference to me.

Burying her... I didn't want her far. I thought it would be best to lay her to rest where we spent time watching the fireflies. At least then, she'd be able to watch them every night. And I can imagine her innocent smile underneath the moonlight.

"Sect Leader, has really let the place go to hell." I'm returning from Rong Xin's resting place and come across irrelevant complaints. Burning ghost money every day and night in hopes that she will be comfortable in the Underworld. This has been my only routine.

"I know right? He doesn't even attend to his duties anymore. Isn't Captain Wu doing everything to keep this run-down sect together?"

"Even if we won over the Immortal Sects, we will always be scum demon cultivators in their eyes. Yet, Sect Leader Yang doesn't care to defend our honor at all."

"All because of that maid who died years ago."

"I can't believe Sect Leader is so infatuated with someone like that. Head Physician Ming Yan has been by his side this whole time, and he treats her like she's invisible!"

"Seems like Sect Leader is much more obsessed with this maid than Head Physician Ming Yan. Can you believe that nonsense?"

"His mood heavily impacts the environment of Bleak Night. I hate it. So cold all the damn time."

I step out in to their line of sight. Talking so boldly before, they cower and lower their gaze to the ground.

"Sect Leader..."

I smile, "You hate it here?"

"Sorry, Sect Leader-- We were only venting--"

A neverending stream of blue flames fly above their heads from my palms, instantly burning the building behind.

They kneel on the ground. "Sect Leader! We are wrong! Please-- Please spare us."

"What's wrong? I'm only warming up the place."

"Sect Leader..."

Creating a ring of azure fire, I trap them in as I continue to rage, aiming fire at everything I've build.

Wu Jing must have heard about what was going on. He rushes to stop me, "Yang Zi Huo! What do you think you're doing?!"

"Burning."

He punches me across my face. I fall to the the ground without even attempting to fight back.

"Are you crazy?!"

"That's right. I'm crazy."

Followers show up with barrels of water in hand and start putting out the fire to no avail. Wu Jing casts a spell to slow the burning fire.

The two gossiping followers are pulled from the ring. Wu Jing immediately orders other followers to bring them out for punishment. Even in times when I act out because I cannot control my emotions, Wu Jing trusts that I have reason.

"Zi Huo, I will not allow you to destroy Bleak Night. Every thing that you have build, your legacy!"

I stand to face him. "Burn it all! I don't want any of this! I never wanted any of this! All I ever wanted... was her."

He sighs with frustration. "Stop being so selfish!"

"..."

I could not stop the single tear from falling down my cheek.