A Ray Of Hope

Kayla's POV

Someone was shaking me and whispering my name. I turned on my other side, trying to ignore the voice that was disturbing my sleep. However, the person kept shaking me and I groaned in frustration. What does a person have to do to get some sleep around here?

Finally, the hands stopped shaking me and I heard footsteps moving away from the bed. I was just slipping off into sleep again, when I heard a voice speak loudly. "Kayla, get your ass out of bed this minute or I won't hesitate to dunk you with water!" I heard my so-called best friend shout.

I sprang up from the bed so fast, that I got tangled in the blanket around me. I turned around to my side to get loose and fell flat on the floor. I was in a mess of blanket, pillows and duvet.

As my brain tried to focus, I heard a loud outburst of laughter. I tried to get up from the floor, while I glared at Jasmine. She was laughing so hard, that she was now wheezing.

When I was on my two feet, I throw the pillows and blanket back on the bed and cross my arms. "Was that really necessary?" I asked. Still laughing uncontrollably, she didn't answer. "Would you stop laughing?"

She controlled her laughter somewhat and looked at me. She stood at the doorway of her room in her pyjamas with tear filled eyes. "What was I supposed to do?" She giggled. "You weren't budging, that was the only way to wake you up." She started laughing again.

I took up a pillow from off her bed and throw it in her direction. She saw the pillow coming and ducked out of the way. The pillow lamely hit the door and fell to the floor. She looked at the pillow on the floor and looked back at me, sticking out her tongue.

I rolled my eyes at her childish behaviour and turned my head to look at the alarm clock that was by her bedside. The time read 6:46am. I turned back to Jasmine and glare at her again. "Why did you wake me up so freaking early on a Saturday?!" I asked astonished. She knew I didn't have to go in to the cafe today. Miranda had called yesterday and said that I could take the day off.

"Jaime wants to go to the zoo. My mom has to work, so she asked me to take him." Jasmine said with a casual lift of her shoulder.

I lifted a questioning eyebrow at her. "What does that have to do with me?"

"Because I don't want to spend the day alone. You know Jaime, he'll annoy the hell out of me." She then gave me a sly grin. "At least you can share the pain and torture with me."

"Some best friend you are." I said dryly in a sarcastic tone.

She grinned. "I know, I'm the best." She said, then added. "Come on, I'm going to drop off Jaime at a neighbour's house after because he has a play date. After that, we can go to the movies. I already told Lucas and Kevin. They're meeting us there."

I was still hesitant to go with Jasmine and her brother to the zoo. Jaime loves to get in trouble and plays prank on people. He was a sweet kid at times and can be an angel, but other times, he was mischievous and creates havoc. He was hyper and loves attention. I sighed, giving Jasmine a wary look. "Do I have a choice?"

A knowing grin appeared on her face. "I'll give you an endless supply of Nutella for a month." She bargained, knowing how much I love the creamy goodness.

I returned her smile as I caved in. "Why didn't you just say so?"

******

An hour later, Jasmine and I were dressed and was in the kitchen sitting on the counter stool. We sat before our empty bowl of cereal just talking, while we waited for Jaime to get ready.

Even though I was trying to listen to what Jasmine was saying, I couldn't help but think about my situation. All I kept thinking about is, what I'm going to do when my time comes to leave the Knights' house.