Chapter 18: Investigation

I have rewritten this chapter 3 times with 3 different goings on in each attempt.

I'm trying here, man. This is hard. I'm waaaay too out of it to actually write good.

And yes I know grammar.
————————————————————

(Y/N) POV

Earlier, I was at school. Aizawa announced summer 'vacation' and by 'vacation', he meant the class would be going to a forest lodge. I'm pretty sure I know which lodge he's referring too, but I wonder how they'll react when they see me again?

But that's not what I should be worried about right now. Right now, I'm already back in Hosu. People are rebuilding, but all the workers have gone home for the day. The streets, for the first time I've ever seen in my entire experience with Hosu, are empty. Cold wind blows as I play that night over in my head.

Cole tries to kill me. Chases me all the way to the other side of Hosu. I see Izumi falling. Instead of taking the opportunity to try and end me or run away to lick his wounds, he helps save Izumi.

Gee. Wonder why that doesn't add up.

(Y/N): "Why the hell did he save her?"

I say under my breath as I approach the alleyway that he graffitied (is it graffiti if it's scorched words on a brick wall or does that count as property damage?). The area still has police tape around, but come on. That isn't gonna stop me. What do you take me for, some sort of Law abiding citizen that stays out of trouble?

C'mon, I've been arrested several times. I'm sure it'd be less if they put me in actual prison instead of less-than-maximum-security juvenile detention, but meh.

(Y/N): "You can't save everyone."

Reading what Cole wrote in person, i try to read a little deeper into it. This new Cole, he obviously hates me. This seems like some sort of deterrent of becoming a hero. Then again, thinking about it again, I don't really have a choice in that. I'm still serving a sentence since it was either this or prison. If i get expelled than I get sent to prison, or at least I think I do.

...I'm getting off topic.

(Y/N): "You can't save everyone...Yeah, I know I can't but why did he take the time to write that?"

I try to remember everything he said to me since he first showed up back at the sports festival for some sort of hint, intended or not, as to why he chose these words.

He's called me a traitor, since I've joined a hero school. Sure, some of them didn't enroll with the purely just the 'become a hero' goal in mind. Some want fame or money, but most of them are actually pretty alright people. Hell, even the money person is actually a great person (*Cough* fame one not so much *Cough*). They have potential to usher in an era of actual heroes instead of just attention whores acting like police.

(Y/N): "You can't save everyone...well...I couldn't save you."

I think back to Empire city, and the guilt of that time washes back over me. I still remember how helpless I was. I put on a brave face against Augustine and her concrete power but honestly what was I gonna do, huh? I was just smiling at death. And when death swung the scythe? Cole took the blow for me.

*Ring-A-God-Damn-ding*

(Y/N): "Hello?"

Reggie: "(Y/N), you there?"

(Y/N): "what do you want, Reggie? I'm busy."

Reggie: "Where are you right now?"

(Y/N): "Why?"