Chapter 12

These words from anonymous are dialogues and thoughts of the characters in the future of the story. Who these belong to, its up to you to figure it out. Though I won't write these in every chapter cuz that would be giving too many spoilers.

The person you love no longer exists...
Will you miss them?
Cry out of loneliness?
So unbearable, that you'd wish to die instead?
Regret not loving them enough?
Not telling them how much you love them?
Wish you'd have more time with them?
To turn back time so you could do things the right way?
But it's too late...
They're already dead.
Leaving us with endless regrets.

~Anonymous~

**********

The last of the sun's rays sheltered behind the soft grey clouds as twilight reached. The wind breeze caressed my skin as the fragrance of the garden massaged my mind with peace. A daunting star was hanging amidst the brooding darkness, sparkling and beautiful yet in isolation...

"Your Highness, His Majesty expects you." Shang Dong bows taking my attention.

I nodded, walking past him into the Imperial study. As always His Majesty was working on some official papers. The candle-lights illuminating his striking profile, adding a certain softness to his sharp features.

 The candle-lights illuminating his striking profile, adding a certain softness to his sharp features

"What is this important matter you had wanted to report to me?" He asked continuing to do his work.

I knew what I was about to do, was me digging my own grave, but I didn't want to keep hiding things from him. It wasn't a decision I took in an impulse but one I'd thought through carefully considering the pros and cons. Despite the little doubts I had in my heart, I still trusted him a lot.

I had a duty, and no matter what outcome, I needed to do what was supposed to be done. I was holding this position with the people's trust. I needed to keep it that way as long as I remained here. I was going to get locked up, but atleast I could prevent someone from dying pointlessly. If I could tell him what I knew, he could come up with a greater plan to catch the mastermind.

Indeed, it was foolish but rather than keeping quiet about the matter and feeling guilty, I'd rather just spill out everything. I was ready to face the consequences but not without a back-up plan.

There was also a low possibility of him being involved in this mess, so I didn't have a reason to hide any of this from him. As his General, he'd be the first person I should be reporting this to. After all, this matter was not just about getting rid of Mother Empress and I, beneath this well thought plan was a dreadful motive that could alarm Xu Lin's safety in the near future.

Remembering the pain, I suffered my last birth and comparing it to the strikes I'd be receiving soon, I felt much better. Atleast I would be intact this time. No person could have suffered such torture like I did, and managed to be even conscious at his last moments.