Chapter Sixty-Eight

January 24th, 2019

Sheila

    The room was a whirlwind of death, blood, and fire. I searched around for my allies, but it seemed that we were all swallowed up by our enemies. Everywhere I went, I just slashed, slashed, pushed, and slashed again. It was a slaughter, I didn't even know if I had a piece of skin not coated in blood.

    I shoved my sword into the gut of a witch, she made a shriek before sizzling to ash. I didn't even think about it because I was moving onto the next person. Over and over again. The repetition of slash, kill, slash, kill, was getting into my head. The more I killed, the redder my hands got and the darker my mind became.

    Before long I was just in an overdrive of death. I dodged the fires of the dragons over head. My goal was to get to Kolgrims twin, who kept moving out of my reach. Death, death, death.

    Then someone clashed swords with me. Finally. I felt like I was opening my eyes to my opponent. I then realized, it was Kolgrim. No it can't be Kolgrim. He was dead.

    "You killed my brother!" He pushed me back, I stumbled a step and raised my shield. Oh, it was his twin. But... I looked at the battle field, I thought he was over there. He must have finally saw me.

    I didn't say anything before I took another swing. He stumbled back, only getting a scrape on his cheek. He was fast. But I was faster. "I'll kill you!" He shouted at me, clashing swords with me once more.

    I pushed him back, into one of his men. He gasped when I jabbed my sword into the person behind him. I couldn't have anyone get in the way of me killing him. He dodged my overhead swing, connecting it with the hilt of his own sword. He kicked me in the gut, making me fumbled backwards.

    He jabbed at my stomach, but I just smashed my shield into his nose. He grunted, now bleeding from his nose. "Why won't you say anything?" That's when I realized the difference between this man and Kolgrim.

    "What's your name?" I grunted blocking his sword with my shield. 

    "I am Tuathal, and I will kill you for my brother!" Tuathal... the name that means peace, that I knew for sure. My sight that was just darkened by the blood, became just that more clear. Peace. That's why I joined this war. I wanted peace. I didn't want a war.

    "I'm sorry," I couldn't help the words from coming out of my mouth. All of the horrible things that Kolgrim has said and done to me. None of that was Tuathal. He was a person caught in the cross fire. Drawn into this war because of his brothers drive for vengeance. 

    "What?" He gasped, his sword dropping a bit. I didn't go to attack him in his open stance.

    "I'm sorry that you lost your brother," I'm not sorry that I killed him. He deserved to die, and was better off dead. Though he didn't need to hear that.

    He took a swing at me, it made a loud clash against my sword. Slowly the world around us began to slow down. "What do you know?!" He shouted at me, rage and anger spilling from every word.

    The blacks of his eyes, my now red ones, met one another. "I don't know," I pushed him back. "I don't know," I restated, "but I understand," I looked him dead in the eyes, "I understand your anger, and grief. I'm here asking for peace." I raised my shield to my eyes, ready for him to attack again. "Only you can give our world that."

    His eyes falter, looking at the people who had gathered around us. They realized that if I kill him, the war would be over. There would be no General to lead them. It would be a slaughter.

    Sure I could kill him, though that would just raise another war. If I save him, have him surrender, turn him into a friend. There would be a lot to gain from that. He lowered his sword.