Chapter Five

Alaric had been home for two days now and things seemed to be settling down a little bit. I had gone back to school. On my way home, I stopped by the café, getting my shifts for the next week. I ordered my vanilla latte and took a seat by the window. Enjoying the feel of the sun against my cheeks. I pulled out some homework, filling in some of the blanks. I felt this overwhelming presence and my eyes darted up. Elijah was sliding into the vacant chair in front of me. I looked around nervously.

"Niklaus is not around."

I nodded, my eyes still glancing around before I heard him chuckle.

"Neither is Kol. Though I don't think he is fond of you right now."

I gulped and Elijah smiled at me.

"No harm will come to you. You have my word."

"A little late considering Klaus almost ripped my throat out a week ago." I pointed out. I watched his reaction as surprise lit his face.

"My apologies, I was unaware of the incident."

I nodded. I tried to relax but found I couldn't and heard Elijah sigh.

"Jordan, I asked you a question at the ball...."

"I don't know anything. I just know that you are all linked, and your mother is trying to kill you." I answered honestly.

"I see......they leave you out." Elijah murmured.

"I ask to be left out. I don't want to be a part of it. I just want to get through school."

Elijah stood gracefully and I couldn't help but watch the fluid movement of his body. He made everything look graceful and elegant. He unbuttoned his jacket pocket, reaching inside to grab a card.

"If anything changes, or you are in trouble, please don't hesitate to call me."

I looked down at the card, his number written neatly on the card. I looked up to thank him, but he was already gone. 

When I got home, I could feel the Elijah's card burning a hole in my back jeans pocket.

"Hey, where have you been?" Jeremy asked, wrapping me up in a hug.

"Café, I got my shifts and I finished off homework due next week." I answered him. Leaving the meeting with Elijah out of it. I felt this heavy weight push on my chest, I never lied to Jeremy. I told him everything, right down to when I got my first period. He had scrunched his face up so bad, looking disgusted before the next day coming into my room with my favourite chocolate and a teddy bear.

"Nerd." He teased, taking my book bag from my shoulder and dragging me into the house. We walked into the kitchen and I groaned when seeing Damon, smiling and waving my way.

"No hello for me?" he aske, faking hurt.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"He was helping me with something." Elena answered walking up to me, kissing the side of my head. "You're late." She scowled.

"I finished my assignment that's due next week..." I mumbled, as I watched Damon.

"Wow, you are a nerd." He smiled at me.

I scowled before walking out and heading upstairs. I walked into my room, dropping onto my bed. My door opened and by the footsteps I knew it was Elena.

"Don't mind him."

"What's going on Elena? Last time I was left out, my throat was ripped into by Klaus." I grumbled.

"I know, I am so sorry. I won't let that happened again...."

I was shaking my head. That promise was a dead promise. Klaus enjoyed ripping into either mine or Jeremy's throats just to prove a point to Elena, Damon and Stefan.

"That's not good enough. I don't want to be used. I now have to look over my shoulder to see if Kol is coming after me."

"Has Kol threatened you?" Elena asked suddenly.

"No.....but I was there when he got daggered. You really think he won't put two and two together?"

I saw her face lit with worry. She hadn't thought of that. I grabbed her hand quickly before she could come up with some stupid crazy scheme to get me off Kol's hit list.

"Just, please give me a heads up. You already have my own twin lying to me and it's killing me. Just give me a heads up." I said, getting up and leaving my room. I felt this crushing feeling in my chest. Walking downstairs, I sat down next to Alaric, not in my usual seat next to Jeremy. Elena walked down; her face crumpled. I kept my eyes on my plate. Jeremy came down and gave me a questioning look before sitting next to Elena.

"How's school?" Alaric asked the table. Damon had sat at the head of the table, his eyes flicking between us all. Elena kept her mouth shut; Jeremy shrugged leaving me to fill in the silence.

"Great. We are reading To kill a Mockingbird. It's not my usual taste in literature but it raises a lot of points."

"I remember reading that at some point in my life, it's about a bird, right?" Damon grins at me. I narrowed my eyes. Returning my attention to my plate, stabbing at my food.

"Elena?" Alaric asks.

"Fine. You have me for History." She shrugs.

I could feel her eyes on me, but I refused to look at her.

"Jeremy?"

"School is school. I'm passing." He shrugs again.

Dinner finishes with silence. I grab everyone's plates, filling the sink with water to clean them.

"Hey, I can help you." Jeremy says.

"It's fine." I shake my head, not bothering to look at him. He shrugs and walks off. I finish the dishes when I felt a hand squeeze my shoulder.

"I heard what you said to Elena." Damon's unwanted voice said.

"It doesn't concern you." I tried to keep my tone neutral.

"It does when you hurt her."

I forced myself to keep my mouth shut. I wiped down the bench.

"No smart little remark? Your losing your edge, little Gilbert."

"My bad." I shrugged.

I gritted my teeth, as Damon smirked at me. He leaned closer to me.

"Stop blaming Elena and start blaming your twin. She doesn't deserve to have your anger."

I felt something inside me snap as I whirled my glare on him.

"Are you kidding me?! I DO BLAME HIM. I BLAME HER TOO! YOU GUYS THINK I DON'T FEEL WHEN JEREMY DIES. BECAUSE LET ME TELL YOU, I DO! A PIECE OF ME DIES WITH HIM AND I CAN'T EVER GET THAT BACK! I HATE YOU!" I shoved Damon as hard as I could. Hot tears streaming down my face and I bolted upstairs. I slammed my door shut, I walked over to my window, bending my legs and burying my face in my knees. I heard a knock at my door and I screamed at them to go away.