I Promise

I rubbed my thumb in circles on her hand. This moment was so perfect. While I was dating Kye, I thought love would come with time, but while I was wrapped in her embrace I was falling. Quicker and quicker. The more seconds the clock ticks down, the further I fell. We were sat by a small fire we had made as the stars flickered like fireflies in the distance. Every breath she took, I felt her chest expand against mine. We hadn't talked that much about the kiss. The kiss... I'd never felt something more real as the feeling that erupted from my heart at that moment. I trailed my hands slowly through her thick auburn hair.

"I just realised I don't know much about you... How about we play twenty questions?" I murmured into the night.

"Okay... I'll start," Thalia turned to face me, "What's your favourite colour?"

"The colour of your eyes," I said absentmindedly not really realising what just came out of my mouth. She grinned at me,

"Really?!"

"Well... um..." I began, trying to save myself. Eventually, I just gave up, nodding and reaching to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear, "Actually, yeah..." I murmur, gazing into her eyes, "What's your favourite memory?" I asked, continuing our game.

"There's this one when I was three. Mum dad and I were just sat in a park and I got up and begged her to let me on the big swing. She let me and I remember the feeling of the sun on my eyelids, the sound of my parent's laughter as they pushed me back and forth. Then it accidentally swang up and hit dad in the face. I remember the love in his eyes as his wife and kid came over to kiss it better, swarming him in hugs. I miss him so much," She said, tears dropping from her eyes. I tightened my grip around her.

I'd hated my dad for everything he'd put me through; I'd thought him out to be this unloving, bitter person. But, can anyone live without love? The way she described her father, the way her eyes lit up at his memory. She still loved him. And I suddenly realised how much this must all hurt for her.

"You still love him..." I whispered and she nodded, burying her head into my chest.

"Your favourite music artist?" She asked and for a second, I was confused until I remembered the game. I stroked her hair again,

"NF." She looked up at me in surprise, raising her eyebrows. I shrugged, "His songs are real. Not fake like most. They have meaning rather than some sequence of lyrics about money or cars." As a smile stretched across her face, I wiped away what was left of her tears.

"What's your biggest fear?" I asked, lowering my hands from her face. She narrowed her eyes, thinking. I felt her hand squeeze mine and she raised her gaze.

"That I'll hurt the people I love the most. That they will leave me and it will be my fault."

"You won't lose me," I said.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Mel?" She moved her fingers in and out of mine. My gaze landed on her, "Have you ever had a nightmare?"

"Of course... When I was a kid, I used to get them all the time," I said, remembering the countless sleepless nights when I was younger. Nightmares of monsters and guns. Terrifying dreams of darkness and rejection.

"How did you make them go away?" She asked weakly,

"Once, my mum told me to close my eyes and imagine a hot air balloon," I watched as she closed both eyes relaxing into my embrace, "Imagine writing down every nightmare or problem you've ever had onto a small piece of paper and chuck it into the basket. Then cut the string holding it to the earth and watch it slowly fly away. Watch each and every painful thought fly away, never to be seen again. Feel the weight of your subconscious subside." She clenched her eyelids,

"Relax," I said, placing my hand on her cheek. I bent down to plant a quick kiss on her lips; I saw her flinch a little in surprise but then relax into the contact. She reached up to grab the back of my neck pulling me towards her again. Our lips met. There was this sensation I got every time we kissed. Like the release of a bunch of fizzing chemicals all around my body. My heart beat doubled speed as our mouths continued to move. I shifted a little, so my legs were wrapped around her hips. Then, we broke apart and just laid there, staring into each other's eyes.

"I'm so lucky..." Thalia muttered. I pressed my nose to her, feeling a sudden wave of emotion pass through me. A tear ran slowly down my nose, "Melody?"

"Don't leave me. Don't leave me again." I cried softly. I didn't know why I was feeling like this. I just know I didn't want to lose her- lose this.

"I won't. I promise as long as I'm able to- I'll stay," She said, now tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear, "You are so beautiful. In and out."

"You are."

"I know." She laughed and rolled us over so she's on top. The fire flickered low behind us, the signs of a dying ember. I smiled as she kissed away the marks of my tears and placed a soft kiss on my forehead.

"You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, Melody. You've changed my entire world. I'm so sorry that I hurt you, but I promise from now on to be the best girlfriend on this planet," Thalia said, her face inches from mine.

"Girlfriend?" I asked.

"Girlfriend." She replied and I know that not another word needs to be spoken. I just gazed into the eyes of my beautiful girlfriend with no worries of what was to come. For now, things were perfect- but what we didn't know, was what would happen when reality finally hit.

A/N

It's finally official! I hope you liked this, I always kind of wanted this moment under the stars and I do hope I have done that justice... Hope you enjoyed, have the most amazing day!!!!!

Edited