chapter 42 ; leaving

AN OVERWHELMING SILENCE filled the prison as Rick had alerted the members of Ellie's disappearance shortly after she had left

AN OVERWHELMING SILENCE filled the prison as Rick had alerted the members of Ellie's disappearance shortly after she had left. Bradley had sighted her fleeing while on duty, and had instantly alerted Rick and Daryl, resulting in them preparing a search team. Bradley had offered his services to ensuring Coda and River had been safe, and had taken them far up to the watchtower as they allowed the group to search for the missing blonde.

Deep into the heart of the woods, Ellie found herself swaying against a damp tree, clutching its bark with her small hands as she released the sob she had been tying to her heart to keep it in. She had ultimately burst. Nothing made sense when all she could feel were her bones about to break deep within her, how everything else around her seemed to keep going when she couldn't. How could the world expect her to go on when there was simply no such thing as happiness? After several moments of intense sobbing, Ellie, finally, hauled her trembling body up from the ground at the crunching of leaves, instantly whizzing around on her heels with her empty gun at hand, simply utilised as a prop.

There were several ways the scene could play out. Ellie had been prepared to die in combat, deemed a sacrifice against a fellow survivor. Ellie could merely run away, skilfully weaving through the trees until she made it safely back to the prison. It had been the easiest of options. Yet, she had also been prepared to fight until her limbs simply couldn't take any more, despite her lack of bullets. It was an all or nothing world.

Ellie's heart skipped several beats as her eyes landed upon Andrea, whose shaky hands were held up in surrender. Ellie simply clenched her eyes shut as she dropped to her knees, and whispered, "It never stops."

"Ellie?" Andrea frantically called as she approached the woman, instantly sinking to her knees to check if she had been harmed. Ellie looked worse for wear, and it was evident the chaos was beginning to take a toll on her, "Let's get you back. Is the prison this way?"

Ellie shakily held out her index finger, and pointed in the direction of the prison as well as she possibly could. Once Andrea was certain of the direction, she hauled Ellie to her feet, and instantly linked their arms as tightly as she could on her end, despite Ellie's loose grip. Andrea continued in her path, and headed directly for the prison with her chest aching with fear for their response.

>>>

"You haven't found her yet?" River questioned after what felt like an eternity of being in the watchtower, safely awaiting Ellie's return in case the Governor had been responsible.

Daryl shook his head sadly, apologetic that despite his and Shane's best efforts, there was nothing to show for Ellie's absence. River awkwardly approached Daryl, and merely held out her fist as she awaited his to bump against hers. Daryl furrowed his brows in confusion as he hesitantly outstretched his own fist, and scoffed as she weaved it away jokingly, her face as still and emotionless as always.