Chapter 37: Twin Swear

Aaron's point of view:

I sit on my bed, facing my open balcony doors, the cold night air filtering into my room. The doors probably shouldn't be open at three in the morning, but I can't force myself to get up and close them.

Cassie is still in the hospital. I would've stayed there until she got released, but her parents—along with my parents—kicked me out, saying that I needed to sleep.

The thing is, I can't sleep if I know she's miles away from me.

Before, when I couldn't sleep, she was always right next door, and I could climb on to her balcony and go into her bedroom with only minor difficulty. I could see her laying there, sometimes asleep and sometimes not—I usually stayed with her if she was awake—and, if she was asleep, the sight of her would provide me with a comfort deep in my chest, one deep enough that I could go back to my room and be dead asleep in minutes.

Very Edward Cullen of me, I know, but I can't help it; Cassie makes me feel good inside, something I've never felt with anyone else, and I would do anything to expierence that feeling everyday for the rest of my life.

I feel my shoulders deflate and the ache in my chest grow a little bigger as I remember where she is.

And then anger rises in my chest when I remember who put her there.

My phone had died while I was driving to the hospital, so I had called my parents and told them about Kyle and what he did to her when Cassie was asleep, and they called her parents, who went down there to press charges.

Even though he's eighteen, I'm not sure if he's going to get any jail time or not. But her parents are pushing for a restraining order, so we'll see where that goes.

Sighing, I stand up from my bed and take my shirt off, pausing in the process of taking my pants off when Autumn bursts into my room.

"Jesus Christ, Autumn, what the fuck?"

"If I told you one of your friends asked me out, what would you do?" she asks me, her voice panicked.

What the fuck?

"What are you talking about?"

There is no way in hell I am letting her date one of my friends; my friends—like I told Cassie that day we got detention—are complete dicks in every way.

She swallows and pushes past me to sit on my bed, bringing her knees up to her chest and rocking slightly. "I like one of your friends, and I need you to swear to me you won't kill him." She looks up at me when I don't give a response—because I'm not fucking agreeing to that—and narrows her eyes. "Twin swear," she says, holding one of her pinkie fingers out, and I roll my eyes.

"I'm not swearing shit. Which one of those fuckers asked you?"

She continues staring at me, her pinkie finger still out, and I move forward with a huff, wrapping my pinkie around hers. "Twin swear. Now which one was it?"

"Adrian." I want to be upset—honestly, I do—but I can't. Adrian slept around—me and Cole did, too, along with some other people we hang out with from time to time—but he stopped at the beginning of the year, claiming he wanted a lasting relationship. He never pursued one with anyone at school, and, while I was a little suspicious at first, I eventually forgot about it. But I do know he was serious about it, and I know that he's less likely to hurt Autumn than Cole is. "We had known each other when you guys became friends, obviously, but while I was in rehab he sent me a text meant for you, and we just started talking. And then I came back and we started hanging out in person, and he just sent me a text saying he likes me and he wants to take me on a date."