Chapter Ten

My eyes were wide when Kol smirked at me.

"I see you have found my room." He commented.

Of course, this had to be someone's room. I was hoping it to be Elijah's. Should have known better. Elijah wouldn't have a bed of THAT size. He wasn't over the top.

"I was looking for the bathroom." I made no moves. I could still get out of this unscathed.

"You found one?" He asked, cocking his head to the side.

I looked down feeling a little embarrassed.

"I did, thank you." I replied, trying to avoid eye contact. There was silence and a struggle inside me started. I felt this overpowering need to look up, but I fought it. I gritted my teeth before finally looking back at Kol. He just watched me from his spot on the bed. The fire inside me roared to life and I could feel this itch under my skin. Rubbing my arms, I tried to think of something to say. My heart was beating frantically.

"Rebekah said you were out of town."

"I was." He shrugged.

Well I guess that was as far as I was going to get with gathering information. I pointed to the door.

"I should head back; Rebekah would be wondering...." I trailed off at his sudden chuckle.

"Rebekah is on the phone with that commoner.....Matt?" He looked at me to clarify and I gave a nod. This was not good. Maybe Elijah would be around as if he could read my mind. "Elijah had something to take care of." He informed me rather smugly. He knew how much he made me uncomfortable and he was basking in it.

"Oh." Was all I could muster as a reply.

Silence engulfed us once more, I shifted my weight on my feet.

"Have a seat." He gestured to the spot next to him and then offered the couch I had no noticed before. I eyed him and took slow steps to the couch before lowering myself onto it.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

"Do you know what your family has been up to?" He asked casually.

I scowled at him.

"I already told you I didn't."

"They are looking for their Original sire." Kol informed me.

I gave him a confused look and then shook my head vigorously when he went to speak.

"I don't want to know."

"You see, love, I will tell you anyway."

"Why?" I asked.

"To make things interesting." He shrugged.

I sighed, rubbing my arms again. I should not have come here. I just felt like Rebekah was different and deserved to have a chance.

"Niklaus."

"What?" I stammered.

What about Klaus? He was evil incarnate? Yep, I knew that. He loves to torture me? Knew that too.

"That is who their Original sire line is. If Nik dies, they die too."

"Wait.....what do you mean die too? I am so confused." I could feel my head spinning. How much was I really out the loop. Kol chuckled as he walked over, sitting on the couch beside me.

"You really have no idea. Do you? They really keep you in the dark and yet you are one of the ones who suffers the most."

I eyed his arm stretched out on the back of the couch and coming too close to my face. It meant I was within reaching distance and I was no ok with that. I shuffled to the edge when I heard Kol sigh.

"No harm will come to you....well...not by my hand at least."

I nodded and relaxed a little at his words, trusting he meant them.

"If an Original dies, so does ALL their sire lines." Kol explained.

"Like a demented family tree, right?" I asked him. He chuckled and nodded.

"Yes." Silence became between us as we sat there, I narrowed my eyes at him, and he rose a brow at me in question.

"I want you to leave Jeremy alone."

I tried to sound more confident, but it was hard when the person sitting next to you was one of the strongest people on the planet and could tear you, limb from limb.

"And why would I do that?" He asked with a smug smile.

"Because he is my twin, I always feel it when he dies." I admitted.

"Ah, yes the Gilbert ring. Another thing I wished to discuss with you."

"What do you mean?" I turned my body toward him.

"Answer a few of my questions and I will answer as many questions as your heart desires."

When he said the words heart and desires, I could feel my heart speed up in excitement. I forced myself to look at the ground and compose myself before I turned back to him.

"I agree."

"Good." He scowled before he turned back to me. "We will have to resume our date another time, Rebekah has gone in search of you."

"Oh."

I stood up and started to walk toward the door.

"Jordan."

I paused as I reached for the door handle, not moving it just yet.

"I like your hair down." He commented as he grinned at me.

I felt my cheeks heat up and quickly exited the room, quickening my pace back to the study room. As I turned the corner, I felt strong hands grip my upper arms as a small scream escaped my mouth.

"Jordan, are you ok? Did you get lost?" Rebekah asked.

I looked into her blue eyes and offered a weak smile at her. She rolled them before she grinned.

"Can we meet tomorrow after school? Talk about the decade dance?"

"Sure."