2. The Workaholic CEO

Evan

"I specifically asked you to prepare the presentation by 9. Where is it?" I asked the accounting head of my company, Kevin.

He shifted in his seat uncomfortably and cleared his throat. "I... I have yet to give some final touches." he said, not looking directly into my eyes because he knew I knew he was lying. He was nowhere close to finish the presentation and it was obvious from his face that was getting more pale with every passing second.

"Why didn't you do it yet? You had the whole last night to work on it." I asked him in the calmest voice possible because apparently, this generation is too fragile to be shouted at, for their own incompetence.

"I was busy last night." he said, correcting his tie and wiping the sweat off his forehead.

"Busy? What's more important than work?" I picked up my mobile as he thought of the answer and responded to the emails of some clients.

"My... My wife's birthday. We went for movies and..."

"I didn't go to home the whole night of my birthday because I was too busy preparing for a meeting. That is a very shitty excuse, Mr. Shaw." I glared and he muttered something under his breath.

"For God's sake Evan, leave the poor man alone." A feminine voice came from the doorframe. I leaned back in my seat and watched as my business partner and friend Helena Grey entered my office. Her hands were full with the shopping bags from which different dresses and shoes were peeking out.

"Its already 9. The whole office is empty by now." she said as she plopped herself in the seat in front of me.

"If I can stay till midnight, then so can my employees." I said and opened the file in front of me.

"Evan, come on now. Drop the work and drive me back to my house. My car isn't working." she whined and I rubbed my temples in annoyance.

"I'll call you an Uber." I said and ordered Kevin to leave.

Once he left, Helena moved forwards and snatched the file from my hand. "You look like you haven't slept in days. You can finish the work tomorrow." she said.

"Helena, give me the file back." I said, using my deadliest glare.

"No, not until you promise me that you'll drive me to my house." she challenged back, smirking and I let out an aggravated sigh.

"Fine." I agreed at last because I knew she won't stop until she had her way. "But wait in the conference room for half an hour. I just have one more thing to do." I said in a voice that left no room for argument. Huffing, she left my office to go wait in the conference room.

For someone who ran a multinational company, Helena was too laid back and irresponsible, although it still didn't stop her from beings my no. 1 competitor. But that was the difference between us; she was born with instincts to be a great businessman while I had to work my ass off day and night to take my company where it was today. If I acted like her, I am sure my company would still be suffering with staggering numbers in this collapsing economy.

..........

As soon as I entered my house, George took the files and suitcase off my hands to take to my room. He told me that my mom was waiting for me on the dining table so I made my way towards the dining room first.

"Good evening," I said, sitting in front of her. "You didn't tell me that you'd be visiting today."

At this, a frown appeared on her face and I couldn't understand why. "Geena called me. She said Cara was crying last night. The poor girl was feeling lonely." she said with a blaming frown on her face.

"Oh, I will give Geena some money so she can buy Cara a new doll." I said and asked Kelly, our cook to serve dinner.

"She doesn't need a doll, son. All she needs is some love from his very busy father. When is the last time you spent an hour with her?" Mom snarled at me and I rubbed my temples which were already throbbing hard.

"I don't have time to play with her and make her braids. That's why I hired Geena." I defended my position. Mom was about to speak something but stopped when Kelly came with the food balanced in her two hands.

After she left, Mom started again, "That's the problem, you never have time for your family. For God's sake Evan, it has been four years since Eliza died. I thought drowning yourself to work was just a coping mechanism but you still haven't recovered."

At Eliza's mention, my mood darkened immediately and my appetite died. It had already been four years, a long time since the love of my life died during childbirth. The day when one girl came into my life and the other one left me for good.

"She needs you, Evan." Mom said and patted my arm. With clenched teeth, I took a bite of the grilled chicken placed in my plate. "Both of you need someone who can take care of you. A girl of her age needs a mother, even more than a father."

This was not the first time my mother had said these words. But seems like blatantly rejection her proposal wasn't stopping her from suggesting this again and again so I took a more diplomatic approach this time.

"Mother, if you can find a woman who is willing to look after my daughter without expecting a husband's love in return, go on. You have my blessings." I said sarcastically and continued eating the dinner.

"I am talking about a wife, not a babysitter. No girl would want to marry a guy who wants her just as a mother to his daughter and not as a wife." she retorted, looking slightly angry.

"Exactly, that's my point." I shrugged.

"Evan---"

"Mom, please. Let me eat in peace. Its my first proper meal of the day." I requested and her nose scrunched at this.

"Fine, whatever. Don't eat or sleep and turn into a zombie." she grumbled under her breath. After finishing my plate in full silence, I was about to leave the table when my eyes fell on some leftover pie.

It looked delicious so on instinct, I cut a small slice and put it in my plate. Digging my fork in it, I took a bite and when it reached my tastebuds, the unfamiliar yet heavenly taste exploded in my mouth.

"Who... Who made this?" I asked Kelly because she never made anything sweet for me before. I didn't particularly had a sweet tooth and neither did I like eating such unhealthy food.

"Cara bought this from a bakery." Mom replied instead of her.

"Oh," I said and after finishing the slice, cut another small piece of it. "It's good."

"Did you actually praised someone's work?" Mom asked and behind us, Kelly chuckled. But her giggling stopped the minute I turned my face towards her.

"I always appreciate someone if their creation is good. Too bad, people mostly just disappoint these days." I commented dryly and then excused myself so that I could take a quick bath and do the rest of my work.

_______________________

What do you think about our Evan?