Chapter 21: Leaving

1995 August 4th 8:32am.

Bright white. Blurry figures. Consistent beeping. Soft murmurs. Smell of disinfectant. Smell of calming cologne. Tasteless mouth. Bloody tongue. Soft bed sheets. Pain.

The beeping suddenly got slightly faster but the three occupants in the room noticed and stopped their conversation, they looked at the half awake boy with messy black hair and multi colored eyes.

8:37am. A groan escaped from Harry's dry mouth but stopped making noise almost instantly. Draco turned with a calm face, not wanting Harry to be scared or intimidated when he wake up properly. Harry's eyes finally open all the way after blinking multiple times, he stares as Draco then at Narcissa then at Lucius. Memories flood into his mind and he smiles a small smile at them, too tired and pained to start panicking.

"Harry. How are you feeling?" Narcissa asked softly, walking over to Harry's right side and taking a seat.

Harry contemplated answering but realised that speaking was not going to happen, instead, he just lifted his right hand and put a thumb up. Only a small throb was felt and harry smiled just that little bit wider. Draco noticed how his smile wasn't forced or wider than natural, it was gentle and unlike the smiles that Ron and Hermione received.

Lucius spoke up, "I talked to one of the doctors a few minutes before you woke up Harry. She said you could go home in a week but you will have to be in a wheelchair until you go to school. And- no, don't worry. You can stay in our manor for a while." He confessed knowing the dark lord wouldn't be there for the rest of the summer because he was going to be busy with some future plans. Harry smiled and his eyes lit up. 

8:39am. "We already picked up your clothes you bought in Knockturn Alley and the rest of your school supplies, so we can stay at the manor for basically the rest of the summer" Draco announced excitedly, his smile brightening up his face momentarily as his eyes changed colours once again. But this time they only flickered before remaining a shining grey.

-----------------------------

1995 August 11th 11:25am.

The door opens slowly as doctor Lucas enters, looking down at his clipboard that has sign off sheets for Harry's departure of St. Mungo's. Harry had his legs dangling off the edge of the bed whilst he talked to Draco, who was also sitting on the edge of the bed, about school subjects and Quidditch. Lucius was talking to Narcissa about Harry's living arrangements. They had decided to room him on the first floor so getting around would be easier. Also, earlier in the week Narcissa had gone back to the manor and informed the house elves that Harry was staying in one of the first floor rooms, the elves were ecstatic to hear that "Mr. Potter was going to be in their presence!"

The wheelchair was just beside Harry, it was a plain black with white swirling patterns on the wheels and frames. It was for temporary use so it was not very flamboyant and didn't attract much attention as a black, turquoise and dark blue swirling chair would, (Harry had seen someone with that kind of wheelchair and liked the colours and complemented them with the help of his notepad, he and Ash had talked for a while in the lunch hall). 

It didn't take a long time for Harry to get the hang of using his wheelchair, although it did ache his healing arms after a few minutes. Narcissa would usually push him around, both having deep 'conversations' about herbology and charms. Despite the fact that the talks did feel a little one sided as Harry could only write out his thoughts on the subject, they got along fantastically and very quickly.

Lucius also wanted to help out Harry so he would assist him in learning sign language, as Lucius had been taught it when he found out that his mother was losing her hearing. So far Harry had learnt basic phrases and questions, they were currently working on animals and things, then after they are going to focus on speed whilst being clear.

"Lord Malfoy, if you could sign these forms as well as you Lady Malfoy. Then you can take your leave when your ready" Doctor Lucas said with a solemn smile, Harry was such a polite and gentle person to be around and when the nurses would come in to check up on him in the evenings, he would smile and give off a calming and soft aura, calming the nurses who had had a rough or stressful day.

Draco gently helped Harry into his wheelchair with both arms supporting his torso into the chair, before positioning himself beside the chair. Harry immediately felt anxious to be in a new environment and started to fidget with the hem of his t-shirt, and silently he slipped into an unnoticeable anxiety attack. Noises started getting louder, colours began to become too bright, his fingertips started to disappear as the feeling in his body dissipated. The feeling would switch now and then, but after a while he heard his name being lightly called. Draco was looking down at him asking if he was ready to go while taking a hold of Harry's hand, running his thumb in circles on the back of his hand.

Harry nodded and felt the world stay still even though he was moving about throughout the hospital.

----------------

Once they had arrived at the manor, Narcissa and Lucius had brought him to his own room whilst Draco went to have a shower. His queen sized bed had grey sheets and a dark oak bedside table at either side. His trunk was stood up against the wall and his books were set out on a study desk, his new clothes were set out on the back of the chair and he was gifted more clothes with the same or similar genre. A few sets of dark green and silver robes were hung up as well as plain black ones.

"The bathroom is connected to this room, it's that door there-" Lucius gestured to the dark oak door on the right wall. "-if you need anything then just snap your fingers and one of the elves will come to help you" Harry nodded his head in thanks and smiled, watching them walk out of the room and listening to the short click of the door closing, waiting but not receiving the sound of at least a dozen locks trap him in one room for hours on end.