Chapter 3 - The meeting of two minds

This place was swish - the bigger house I mean. Compared to ours, it was a palace, although there didn't seem to be much difference from the outside. Strange. Probably has something to do with the layout I guess.

We'd been there 10 minutes already and there was no sign of the husband and son. An extra car was outside so I assumed they were in. Maybe they were not so happy about us guests.

After forever and an age, the husband made an appearance and apologised for being tardy. 'My son is just being a little awkward right now and I've been trying to get him to come out. Shouldn't be much longer, you know what teenage boys are like!' Speak for yourself mr, I would never be this rude...

'Hi.' someone grumbled and made a beline for the dining table. Yowser! I had been expecting some swatty 13 year old nerd, not a guy pretty much just like me. He was a little shorter by an inch or so, maybe a tad bigger (puppy fat round his middle and chin. Not much though), brown hair instead of black but everything else was weirdly similar.

His face was almost as angular as mine, had the same sense of style, matching shaggy hair swept to the side and he was just as pale. I can tan I swear, I've just not been out in the sun for a while. Neither had he, even though it seemed impossible to not be tanned living in California.

'I'm afraid we wont have as long to eat as expected. We planned on dishing up as soon as you got here because we have to pop into town tonight. Charltons such a busy man and his clients are more willing to fork out after seeing the whole family... It was a bit unexpected to be honest.' Mandy looked annoyed as she said this but it was already a little awkward so I was more than fine to dine and dash.

'Oh, if its a bother, we can just leave and grab take-out tonight. Don't worry yourself.' My mom had the right idea to leave.

'Nonsense. I tell you what, why don't you sit down and eat what we have prepared. The boys running late has left us in a bit of a pickle so we have to leave very soon. Feel free to have a nose around and just post the keys through the door when you leave - we have spares and trust you.'

My parents clearly didn't know what to do with themselves and sat down at the table in silence. I joined them and we awkwardly dished up. It was a bit surreal and uncomfortable.

The kid was dragged away and they hurried their goodbyes and left.

'I really don't want to eat this or stay here mom. Can we go now?'

'What if they notice we havent touched the food. I'd feel so bad. Let's just eat and take a quick tour and leave? May as well now.' she replied.

'I think that's a brilliant idea honey,' my dad responded.

I wolfed down what I could manage and leapt up. 'I'm gonna see if er...' Shit they hadn't told us his name. '... this kid has any cool gadgets or movies or summat. I feel to weird just sitting here.'

I wondered through the corridor, popping my head through doors till I came upon a kids room. It was quite adult and I nearly didn't notice it was his until I spotted a guitar and a bean-bag chair in the corner. I got a sense that they didn't use this home much. If they just vacation here as well, it would explain the kids lack of tan.

I opened draws and cupboards but there wasn't an aweful lot in here so I grabbed the guitar an sat down. I haven't got a clue how to play but it looked cool and there was no harm in pretending. I brushed the strings with my fingers. It sounded quite soothing but it wasn't a masterpiece. I attempted to move my left hand into a shape that looked like I was doing something on the neck and brushed again. That did not sound so soothing.

I gave up and put it back where I found it. I don't want to end up breaking it because I don't know what I'm doing. That last stroke sounded like I broke something, that's for sure!

My parents were off exploring when I got back to the table but they weren't very long and we headed back to the other house.