The Rescue

Carson's POV

It was six o'clock when I decided to call my training quits and head home. As soon as I left school, I have been here and I was training as hard as ever. This was my shot at the grand prize and I wasn't going to mess it up. Hell, I'm going to fight for it!

I bid my friends goodbye as I got in my car and drove home. My father didn't want anything to do with me. Fine, I'm not going to force him. He doesn't want to fund my tuition into college. I'll find my own way. I'm not going to let anything or anyone get in the way of my dreams.

I pulled up into the driveway of my house and get out of my car. I went inside the house and up the stairs to my room. I wanted to stop at Kayla's room, but decided to have a shower first. I don't know why, but I don't feel complete unless I see her. I don't know what she has done to me, but I know that I have never felt this way before. I love it when we spend the evening together in her or my room talking and laughing. I just love spending time with her.

I have become addicted to her laugh, her smile, the way she teases me and I'm always getting pulled in by her captivating brown eyes. I love the way they sparkle when she laughs or get excited. She is the most beautiful girl I have ever met and I constantly find myself wanting to please her.

I felt a smile on my lips as I thought about her. Man, I have it bad. I got out of the shower, got dressed and left my room. I walked over to the room that was beside my own and knocked on the door. I didn't hear a response, so I knocked again. Still no response. I frowned. I know she wasn't sleeping, because she has never gone to bed so early before.

I put my hand on the doorknob and turned it. Pushing the door open, I looked inside to see that the room was empty.

"Kayla?" I called, but no response. I walked inside the room to listen if I heard the shower, but nothing. I left the room and closed the door behind me. Where could she be? I know she hasn't left for Jasmine's house because she said that she is moving in tomorrow before she head to work. I also had noticed her packed bag on the chair in her room.

Maybe she was out with her friends. With that thought in mind, I went downstairs and into the living room. Mom and Dad were in the living room conversing when I entered. It looked like Dad had just come in from work and sat on the couch. His suitcase was on the floor by his foot. I was actually surprised to see him home this early.

Mom looked up at me and greeted me when I entered the room. Dad totally ignored my existence. Through the corner of my eyes, I saw Mom looked at Dad and sighed. She has a sad expression on her face.

Hating to see her like this, I tried to distract her attention from the situation. "Mom, do you know where Kayla went?" I asked.

Mom nodded. "She went out with her stepfather."

I spun around to face her instantly. "What?!" I felt cold chills run through my body at her words.

Mom raised her eyebrows at me, surprised at my outburst. "Her stepfather was here twenty minutes ago. She left with him." She repeated.

"And you let him leave with her?!" I asked as my heart started beating rapidly. My mind started to play a thousand scenarios of what the bastard could do to her.

Mom looked confused. "I didn't see why not. He seems like a nice man."

"He is anything but nice. He is the complete opposite." I answered. Dad, who was quiet this whole time, looked up at me for the first time when I said that. Ignoring the looks they were both giving me, I walked over to the table to get my car keys.

When I walked passed my mom to the front door, she stopped me by placing her hand on my arm. "What are you talking about, Carson? What's going on?" She asked softly, trying to make sense of my frantic actions.