XLVIII ; the trial

* * *

            ELARA MISSED THE MAJORITY OF THE MORNING CLEANING. she had her mask on over her mouth and nose and was chatting idly with hermione when she started feeling a bit fuzzy. knowing the vision wasn't going to be coming for a bit, she continued on with her conversation. only when she dropped off her sentence did everyone realize a spell was coming.

            "oh no -- " said hermione's worried voice.

            and that was the last thing elara heard that morning.

            she awoke in an armchair some hours or minutes later. it was really hard to keep track of time. she pushed herself up and surveyed the room around her. the person keeping watch was ginny this time, who was staring at her fretfully.

            "you've been out for hours," she said, amazed.

            "doesn't feel like it," elara grumbled, running a hand down her face. "please tell me lunch isn't over."

            "just started," said ginny, standing up from the couch.

            without another word, elara dragged ginny to the kitchen. ginny didn't complain, however, as her stomach was growling loudly. ron, hermione, fred, george, and aurora were all eating from a silver tray stacked with sandwiches. ron was staring wistfully at a cake sitting off to the side. elara and ginny took seats next to hermione and began stuffing their faces as well.

            "what'd you dream about this time?" said ron through a mouth full of sandwich.

            "surprisingly, something really boring. an ugly woman in pink was giving a really long speech, and then it'd switch between that and four people walking in the forbidden forest," said elara. "you'd think it would've been exciting because i was out for what? four hours?"

            that afternoon, elara was able to help empty the glass cabinets. it was a job that required a lot of concentration, as many of the objects in there seemed very reluctant to leave their dusty shelves. sirius sustained a bad bite from a silver snuffbox; within seconds, his bitten hand had developed an unpleasant crusty covering like a tough brown glove.

            "it's okay," he said, examining the hand with interest before tapping it lightly with his wand and restoring its skin to normal, "must be wartcap powder in there."