Chapter 46: Shadow of Naginata Blades

"Is Soma not up yet?" Saito anxiously asked Ishi. Today is when he will take Soma with him to the Hirano Shrine for a small walk.

"Young Master, Miss Soma is still asleep?" Ishi hesitantly said.

"Brother! Are you ready to go?" Yun Ren Xie hastily slid the door open, revealing her very delicate appearance.

She is wearing a white kimono with dark flowery intricates. A small part of her hair were braided by the right side of her head while the other hair left are all cascading downwards. Even without makeup, her natural beauty exceeded others expectation.

Saito stiffened upon seeing his sister but quickly retained his calm posture. "Come here then." he smiled.

She stared at her brother for a long time, what a mesmerizing person! "Mm!" she responsed and made her way to Saito. As they stepped outside the courtyard, the moving members of Shinshengumi stopped. All thoughts flooded them....

Is this girl really the Third Unit Captain's woman?!

"Oniisan, why are they staring at us?" she asked innocently. Saito just smiled and slowly pat her head.

"Probably thinking your beautiful."

"Your the one whose beautiful here!" Yun Ren Xie cheerfully said.

Along the way, everyone kept staring at Soma and Saito. They have never seen such perfect couple before, same have the beauty of dawn and personality as warm as the rising sun. Unknown to them, the couple they are adoring were siblings.

After a few minutes of walk, they arrived at the Hirano Shrine, resting under the blooming cherry trees while Ishi is setting the delicacies on a wooden table under the trees' shade.

'Baoshi, where is he?!' Yun Ren Xie is panicking inside. She have made this plan just yesterday and waited for this time to arrive.

'Host, Hijikita is nearby but Im afraid normal sound waves cant let the flute reach his ears. I suggest host to use a small amount of sound impartation.'

"Here, drink some tea for refreshments." Saito came from behind while handing her a cup of cherry blossom tea, perfect for the occasion.

Yun Ren Xie smiled sweetly and accepted the offer. After a sip, she set the porcelain cup on the wooden table. "Oniisan, I brought my flute. Would you like me to play a song?" she took out her jade flute from her waistband. Its soft red ornament dangled gently.

Saito only nodded and drank his tea, he looked at Soma who happily hopped in front of him while holding her flute. Her pink lips parted, slender fingers playing with the delicate jade flute.

A sweet and alluring melody rang his ears. Saito cant help but close his eyes and savor the music, as if it was one with the gentle spring breeze, like it is the relaxing flow of river. Even Ishi stopped her work just to watch her miss.

A certain person halted on his track, the soft breeze caressed his blue kimono as it fluttered. The soothing flute melody made him remember an important person.

Hijikita Toushirou's heart jumped. This tone..... the same melody like Shadow's song the other day! However, the song is now full of enticing flute sound. Hope glimmered through his heart, it must be Shadow!

He slowly followed the sound until he stopped. Hijikita stood behind a thick wooden pillar while looking at the girl playing the flute. The pillar blocked the sight of Saito and Ishi, thus, he thought Shadow must be alone.

But is the girl really Shadow? He squinted his eyes to have a closer look when Yun Ren Xie slowly opened her eyes, the dark pair of orbs stared at the red pillar nearby. She have thought Hijikita is over there but why cant she see him?

She is currently playing Yume to Hazakura, the same song she played the day before yesterday just to seduce Hijikita which raised sixty to seventy five percent.

Im sorry Okoto but you need to lose Hijikita in this lifetime in order to let me have a good life with my own lover. Yun Ren Xie's guilty heart slowly dispersed and focused on playing the flute.

After finishing the song, Saito opened his eyes, meeting the similar pair of onyx iris. If Soma were not his sister..... there are lot of possibilities he can take her. However, the situation within is far different from his imagination.

While he is immersed with his own agenda, Yun Ren Xie clutched at the flute on her hand. When she met his gaze, she remembered Gu Ling..... they are a bit similar with Saito though. Pitch black iris, the same gentle way of look when she finished the song from the previous world until now.

"Saito!" she called out, she needs to break free from this worries. Her mission is more important than what she feels or think.

From her sudden call, Saito's daze look vanished. He quizzically stared at Soma with disbelief, why is she calling him like that? "Soma, your that daring?"

Yun Ren Xie went to her brother and grabbed his arm, playfully saying, "Im a bit tired of calling you 'oniisan' all day. Please let me?" she used her puppy eyes effect while leaning closer to Saito.

He can only shake his head, tired of calling him oniisan? "Need anything?" Saito tried figuring it out.

As expected, he felt how Soma gripped unto his arm tighter. Has he guessed right? "Saito, play a song for me?"

The way she called him by his name made Saito's heart  beats faster. "Alright." he shortly answered. He liked how Soma directly called him like they werent siblings at all.

Yun Ren Xie handed him the flute as he accepted it. She watched him with glee while a certain person's heart is seeping pain from the sight.

"Shadow, your only mine." he gritted his teeth, slowly leaving the place. He knew already, Shadow and the girl called Soma are one. His feelings were complicated, worrying the girl he liked will fall with Saito.

In his fit of temper, Hijikita visited Okoto after his shift. "Tea?" Okoto kindly asked, her voice is gentle and soothing to the ears.

He nodded gently and accepted the peach blossom tea from the fair maiden. Hijikita held Okoto's hand before letting go. The girl obviously blushed, she have long loved Hijikita however, she as the ex fiance of him have a flaw in their relationship.

Okoto willfully placed the koto in front of her and started playing the instrument. In this silent night, he can really savor the relaxing sound of Okoto's music.

Hijikita stared at her, he almost thought Okoto was Soma since they have the a bit of identical features. But when Okoto raised her head to look back at him, he snapped out of his fantasy. No, she will never be her.

Shadow is haughty while Okoto is humble. What troubles him is, how will he find that girl, Soma? With his flushed thoughts, Hijikita drank the whole cup of tea.

On the other side, Baoshi was panicking. "Host! Im telling you, Hijikita will marry Okoto!"

"What's with him?! Is eighty percent of the mission not enough to stop him?!" Yun Ren Xie stomped her foot in the void.

"He. Is. Drugged!"