Reader's Reference: Complete character list

This is a readers' reference. Please scroll on for the next chapter

Ashcroft, Bert: district coroner and pathologist.
Detective Chief Superinendent Baines: Kubic's irascible superior.
Booth, Maureen: strict, unpopular English teacher at Ravensby Comprehensive who had originally been Nathan Edwardson's murderous target.
Butterfield, Adam: first recipient, husband of Catherine
Butterfield, Catherine: the first victim, a doctor, eight months pregnant at the time of her murder
Callaghan, Becky: Abigail Gilchrist's best friend; Phil Tomkins' girlfriend
Collins, Lydia: science teacher at Ravensby Comprehensive - popular but not good at keeping classroom order.
Cosgrove Madeleine: unhappily married doctor, best friend of Catherine Butterfield.
Dave: straight-laced second husband of Kubic's ex-wife; Danny Kubic's stepfather.
Edwardson, Gary: Nathan's biogical father, seriously but not lethally wounded in knife attack.
Edwardson, Marcus: Nathan's ten-year-old brother.
Edwardson, Nathan: second recipient who had originally planned to murder Maureen Booth, but feeling that the police were closing in on him failed in an attempt to murder his biological father.
Ewan: Wye's former partner
Gilchrist, Abigail: rebellious, unpleasant sixteen-year-old daughter of Heather Gilchrist.
Gilchrist, Heather: unscrupulous editor of the Ravensby Evening Echo; had the opportunity to stop the spiral of blood but preferred circulation figures to human life; plagued by guilt, commits suicide following Sophie Markham's murder.
Hancock, Giles: marijuana-smoking friend of Abigail Gilchrist
WPC Hargreaves: female officer often charged with duties requiring tact and gentleness.
Holloway, Vince: seventeen-year-old painter and decorator who witnessed the murderer flee the scene of Sophie Markham's murder.
Jennings, Simon: crime reporter of the Daily Express who is covering the Ravensby story
Josh (Pell): Year 8 student at Ravensby Comprehensive who witnessed Nathan enter the school the afternoon the tyre of Maureen Booth's car was slashed.
Julie: Vince's girlfriend
Karen (Frankby): Nathan's neglectful, marijuana-addicted mother.
Kershaw, Jenny: Kubic's remarried ex-wife.
Kevin: Nathan's drug-dealing petty criminal stepfather.
Kubic, Danny: Kubic's fifteen-year-old son.
Detective Constable Larkinson: third member of the Ravensby Criminal Investigation Department.
Markham, Josie: Sophie's mother, a noted local defence lawyer.
Markham, Sophie: second victim; intelligent fifteen-year-old with ambitions of medical career; Nathan's secret girlfriend.
Peters, Alan: diminuitive headmaster of Ravensby Comprehensive
Reg: Vince Holloway's boss
Shreeves, George: Heather Gilchrist's former assistant, now editor of the Ravensby Evening Echo
Summer: Danny Kubic's five-year-old half sister.
Tomkins, Phil: Giles Hancock's best friend
Underhill, Randolph: eccentic son of an aristocrat, former owner of the now abandoned house in Cresswell Road where Sophie Markham's assassin had pulled the trigger and where Giles Hancock and his friends often gather to smoke marijuana.
Detective Chief Inspector Yardley, Nigel: detective of superior rank to Kubic from a neighbouring jurisdiction who DCS Baines suggests in chapter two should be given an advisory role in the investigation.