[20] Dotty's Café

Chris looked calm as he drove the car, one hand on the wheel and the other resting at the manual gear shift. Dylan shifted in the passenger seat. He felt nervous and giddy and Chris was way too hot for Dylan's wellbeing. He wanted to punch himself.

He was the co-captain of the soccer team and one of Greenhills best students, for God's sake. He, if anyone, could manage a date with Chris Davis. Still, his heart was beating way too hard and his cheeks were burning.

Chris turned his head to look at him. "I'm not going to murder you, you know." He said, a smug expression on his face. It made him look very kissable, Dylan thought to himself. He chuckled.

"Well, you never know," Dylan shot back, relaxing slightly. Chris grinned. It was nice, not being the one to drive. It was weird... but nice. 

A little voice in Dylan's head screamed at him that it was a bad idea, that nothing would go well, but he was starting to ignore it. Instead, he focused on how good it felt, how at ease he was beginning to become. 

"You still haven't told me where we're going," he said after a moment, looking out of the front window. The sun was still shining brightly, casting its golden rays over the car.

"We're going to a café if you must know," Chris said as he turned at an intersection, "and then we're going to walk in the woods for a bit-"

"So you are going to murder me!" Dylan exclaimed with a grin.

"I wasn't finished," Chris laughed, "we're going to walk for a bit and then we're going to eat dinner." 

"Okay," Dylan smiled and relaxed further into the seat. It was a nice car, nicer than the one that he had. Chris must have saved up for a long time to get it. 

"So, what did you do today?" 

"I've read some, and showered, that's about it," Dylan smiled as Chris pulled into the parking lot of a small café near the edge of town. "What's this place?" 

"This is Aunty Dotty's Coffee Shop. She makes a mean pie and I've been going here all my life. I used to go here with my brother-" Chris stopped himself and Dylan tilted his head a bit. "Anyway, come on." 

Dylan got out of the car at the same time Chris did, and they started walking up toward the patio. When they'd gotten up, Chris held open the door and Dylan felt his cheeks heat up. 

The inside of the shop was very cozy. As the sun was still shining bright, and the drapes were pulled away from the windows. The only other light source was some lit candles that decorated the tables and various cake stands. The tables were made with dark wood and had chairs to match.

It was as close to empty as it could be, with only two people whispering in one of the corners.

"Dotty?" Chris called into the café. A rustle was heard from behind the counter and a few moments later, a large, grandma-looking woman emerged from what seemed to be the kitchen.

"Christopher!" The woman exclaimed with a thick Brooklyn accent, "where have you been? I've missed you. How's ya brother?" 

"I've been busy, I'm sorry," Chris took a light hold of Dylan's hand and lead him toward the counter where Dotty was leaning.

"That's alright, baby," she smiled and turned her gaze toward Dylan, "Well, I never! Hi, honey, I'm Dotty." She reached her hand out and Dylan shook it, the other arm slightly hidden behind Chris. 

"Dylan," he smiled politely.

"It's very nice to meet you, Dylan," Dotty beamed up at him, "I've never had Chris come in with anyone other than his brother, you must be quite the young man." Dylan shot a glance toward Chris, who was already looking at him. The intense stare made his cheeks flush and his stomach flutter.