58. long lost friends

 long lost friends

QUINN

     SHE TRIED TO CALM HER BREATHING AS they hurried through the forest. The air smelled of smoke, the buildings of Terminus still burning behind them but she didn't look back, not willing to spend another second thinking about those people.

'Right 'ere,' Daryl suddenly said, pointing to the ground.

Rick bend down, taking a shovel from under a pile of leaves before starting to dig into the ground.

'The hell we still around here for?' The tall ginger man asked.

'Guns,' Rick replied while digging, 'some supplies. Go along the fences, use the rifles. Take out the rest of them.'

'What?' Bob questioned.

Rick stopped digging to throw to man a glare, his eyes filled with rage. 'They don't get to live.' He turned back towards the ground, the blue bag had become visible and he pulled it out.

'Rick, we got out, it's over,' Glenn said.

'It's not over till they're all dead,' Rick responded while taking his Colt Python out of the bag and putting it in its holster.

'The hell it isn't,' the pretty girl with the hat spoke sharply, 'that place is on fire, full of walkers.'

'I'm not dicking around with this crap,' the ginger spoke up again, 'we just made it out.'

'The fences are down, they'll run or die,' Maggie added.

Rick exhaled slowly, clearly not agreeing with their opinions, his gaze turned towards the ground as he considered the words that had been said but he didn't get a chance to respond as the sound of a twig snapping behind them made them all turn around.

At first, Quinn believed she was dreaming, that her eyes were deceiving her somehow but it wasn't until Daryl stormed forwards and embraced the woman in a tight hug that she knew it to be real.

It was Carol, standing there, right there, currently being embraced so tightly by Daryl that Quinn felt a laugh escape her lips. He lifted her up while holding her tightly, making the woman laugh softly as he placed her down again. Slowly he let her go, staring at her as if afraid he was dreaming before placing his head on her shoulder as she stroke his hair, like a mother calming a child.