59. take a breath

59. take a breath

 take a breath

QUINN

     'HEY, EARLIER, WERE YOU WATCHING US?' Rick asked Gabriel.

She frowned upon hearing his question. It appeared as though their leader had seen something that had gotten him worried enough to ask a stranger about it.

'I keep to myself,' the priest answered, 'nowadays people are just as dangerous as the dead, don't you think?'

'Nah,' Daryl said instantly, 'people are worse.' And the blue bruise around his eye suddenly seemed to stand out even more.

'Well, I wasn't watching you,' Gabriel told them as he kept on walking through the forest, leading them towards his church. 'I haven't been beyond the stream near my church more than a few times since it all started. That was the furthest I've gone before today.'

Quinn shared a small glare with her brother and knew he was thinking the same thing. It was a miracle the priest had survived this long without having to kill any walkers.

'Or maybe I'm lying,' Gabriel suddenly spoke up, making Quinn look away from her brother and towards the priest, her hands tightening around the hilt of her dagger. 'Maybe I'm lying about everything and there's no church ahead at all. Maybe I'm leading you into a trap so I can steal all your squirrels.' He chuckled in himself as he ended his story but as he turned to look at Rick, who stared at him with his blue eyes cold as ice, the smile quickly faded off his features.

'Members of my flock had often told me that my sense of humor leaves much to be desired,' he spoke dryly, his eyes darting restless between Rick and Daryl who were both staring him down.

'Yeah it does,' Daryl told him.

Rick didn't say anything and simply gestured for the man to keep walking which he quickly did. He led them over a small path which soon branched out into a clearing with a white church in the middle of it. The building was so randomly placed in the middle of the woods that it almost felt like the original owner knew it would provide shelter in the apocalypse one day.

Gabriel walked up to the door, taking a key out of his pocket, ready to open the door but Rick stopped him. 'Hold up. Can we take a look around first?' He walked up the stairs to stand next to the priest and held out his hand to recieve the key. 'We just wanna hold on to our squirrels.'

The priest handed him the key without a word and Rick opened the door, gesturing for everyone to follow him inside. Quinn watched as Michonne, Daryl, Carol and Glenn followed him. She took out her daggers from her belt and kept her gaze focused on the treeline surrounding the church, standing guard in case a walker would stumble by.