66. burned away

66. burned away

 burned away

QUINN

     THE WALK TOWARDS THE BUS ON THE BRIDGE put her on edge. Without her weapons Quinn felt naked and exposed. All she had was a small knife and she wouldn't get very far with it if a herd showed up. But for now, they were good. There were two or three lonely walkers far behind them, nothing they couldn't handle. Other than that, the bridge was deserted.

As they got closer to the bus Quinn found herself having to push aside her thoughts and stay focused. Now that she knew the secret that had Carol feel so torn inside, she couldn't help but feel worried for the woman. Her guilt over her actions had made her think that somehow she didn't deserve to be in their group anymore. Which was ridiculous. They had all done things to survive.

The night she and Daryl found Rick was still burned in her mind. She could remember everything like it happened only seconds ago. The man on top of her, the stone cold desire to kill him, the words she said to him and how her voice had sounded almost playful...

A shiver crawled down her spine and she closed her eyes for a second, taking a deep breath before opening them again. She focused her gaze on Daryl's back, watching the angel wings on his vest and slowly she felt herself calm down.

Carol wasn't the only monster in their group. But it was the world that had made her so and Quinn didn't blame her in any way. She just hoped the woman could forgive herself.

Daryl was the first one to reach the bus and he carefully opened the doors. The front wheels of the vehicle were hanging over the edge of the bridge. It looked like even the smallest movement could send it flying over, which was probably why her heart rate refused to go down.

'All righ', let's get this done,' Daryl said, moving towards the bus.

'It's not stable,' Quinn stopped him, 'I'm lighter.'

He looked at her for a second then turned and climbed into the bus anyway, making a small sigh leave her lips. He sat on the edge to test the stability and when it seemed to hold he crawled further inside.

Carol carefully followed, moving all the way to the front. The bus swayed a little but remained steady.

Quinn watched as they went through papers and was about to ask if they found anything when the snarls of walkers reached her ears, accompanied by the ever lingering smell of death and rotten flesh. She turned to see a group of at least twelve corpses stumbling down the bridge towards them and more were following close behind.