Richman's World 2/2

The problem was that Peter couldn't forget Ned's words. Every day he was more and more aware of what life he lived now, and somehow he couldn't accept it. He wished Ned never said it. He hadn't noticed before. But now it was impossible for him not to notice. And he hated it.

"Uhm, Friday, this is not a penthouse," Peter pointed out when the elevator stopped on the 60th floor.

"The boss is currently on this floor. He wants to see you," Friday told him, and Peter frowned slightly before stepping out of the elevator. This floor has been empty since he remembers. So he didn't understand why Tony wanted to meet him here. Peter followed the noise because Friday gave him no further instructions.

"Ah, you're finally here," Tony said enthusiastically as Peter entered the large room. Really large room.

"Hi, dad. What's going on here?" he asked, walking over to him. Tony stood in the middle of the room, and around him were holograms with some plans.

"Great things, kid. I decided to use these empty spaces," he replied.

"Use how?"

"I decided to build a pool," he said with a smile, and Peter froze. He clearly remembered the moment in Malibu when Tony said that if he wanted to have a pool here too, he could just say. Because he lived that way now. All he needed to do was mention that he wanted a pool and he got a pool.

But he didn't want a pool.

"Build a pool?"

"Sure, you were in the pool more often than in the lab when we were in Malibu, and that's a lot to say. So why not have a pool here too?"

"You can't just build a pool for me!" Peter yelled in frustration.

"Who said it's a pool for you? It's not just a pool for you," Tony said.

"Seriously?" he asked critically.

"Yeah, Nat likes to swim too," he murmured.

"Unbelievable," Peter said and turned to leave.

"What's the problem?" Tony asked, misunderstood, but Peter didn't answer. He stepped back into the elevator and told Friday to take him to the floor where Pepper had her office. He had to finally talk to someone about it.

Peter knocked on the door and walked in as the muted 'enter' came from the other side.

"Oh, hello. How was school, honey?"

"The school was fine," he answered and walked to her desk. "Do you have a minute?"

"For you? Always," she said with a smile, and Peter sat in a chair. There was silence for a moment because Peter didn't know how to start. Maybe he shouldn't talk about it. He would have to learn to live with it anyway.

"I don't know how to start," he finally said.

"What about from the beginning? I wonder what caused it," she said, and Peter gave her a surprised look.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not stupid, sweetheart. You've been acting really weird lately. And I suspect that this is related to our financial situation. Let me guess, Tony told you about a pool plan. And that was the last straw for you," she said, and Peter was without words. She knew it.

"I never thought much about it, but then Ned said something that settled in my head," he said eventually.

"You care to share with me?"

"He said he was glad we were still friends because I'm basically rich now and I could act like Flash," he muttered.

"And what did you say?"

"That you are rich, not me."

"Peter, I know you're not used to this life, but the truth is you'll have to accept it. I don't want you ever having to worry about finances, okay? We are your parents now, and if you ever ask for something that is too much, we will not allow it, even if it would do nothing to our account. I know you didn't ask for that pool. Those spaces were long unused and Tony thought this was a good idea. We are likely to make it available to Stark Industries employees," she explained, and Peter nodded.

"I know I have to learn to live with it, but it's just harder now."

"It will be okay. I'll talk to Tony about it after dinner."

"I love you, mom. I don't remember my parents much. And I miss Ben and May. All the time. But I'm glad to be here with you. And with dad."

"I love you too, Pete. I have to get back to work now. Go to Tony, you don't have to tell him what you told me. Just tell him I'll talk to him tonight."

"Yeah, okay. See you at dinner," he said, leaving her office. In fact, he was quite relieved. He would still have to get used to it, but it was nice to talk about his feelings.

***

It breaks my heart, but there will be only one more chapter and then it will be over. And I can't totally accept it.