75. to build a home

75. to build a home

 to build a home

MILO

     WHEN HE WOKE THE RAIN HAD CEASED and the silence it left behind was almost eerie. He blinked against the sunlight that came falling through a crack in the wood and directly on his face. He sat up, stretching his aching arms. Sleeping on the floor wasn't something he had trouble with, the only downside was his body feeling incredibly sore every morning. He looked around the shed, noticing most of the group were already up and getting ready. The very little food they had was being divided by Rosita and Tara. It didn't go unnoticed by him that they gave Carl and Judith a little bit more.

He stood up and accepted his food with a small smile. Upon looking around however, he failed to see Quinn and his smile faltered. He'd seen her last sitting down next to Daryl to keep an eye on the door and so he made his way over towards the front of the shed. On his way he passed Judith, sitting next to her father on the ground, a bright smile on her face. Unlike the rest of them she wasn't worried about anything. Her presence always managed to put a smile on his face and he reached down to pat her head, earning a small laugh from the baby girl. He grinned at her before walking on towards where Daryl was seated against the wall, his hands working on fixing his crossbow. Quinn was still seated next to the redneck, her eyes closed as she slept peacefully. At some point during the night her head must've fallen to the side, because it was resting on Daryl's shoulder. It somewhat surprised Milo that the man had made no attempt to push her away. Instead he moved his left arm as little as possible while working on fixing his weapon.

As if he felt someone looking at him, and Milo was pretty sure that he could, Daryl looked up from the crossbow on his lap, staring in silence at Milo, silently daring him to say something. But he simply offered the redneck a knowing smile before turning on his heels and leaving the shed.

The sun was already out and shining, forcing him to close his eyes against the light. He could tell it was going to be another warm day. Though the warmth felt different than it had yesterday. The rainstorm had taken the edge off and given the earth a little bit of life again. Carefully he opened his eyes and blinked against the light. Once he could see again he froze in his movements, eyes wide and heart beating wild. He knew they were lucky they had survived the storm, he didn't know that they had been this lucky.

Numerous trees had fallen down. It was a miracle none of them had hit the shed. They had, however, hit the walkers that had been pressing against the doors. Body parts lay scattered on the ground. Bodies were impaled by trees and branches, their teeth snapping hungrily at the sight of food but they were unable to move. The storm that had endangered them so much had saved their life at the same time.