42 - Testing

Sana stayed up talking with the girls, not wanting to miss anything. She didn't care if it was nonsense, she just wanted to keep talking to them. Eve and David smiled as they watched Sana interact with her children.

"She's missed them a lot." Mina chuckled to her parents.

"You can tell." Eve smiled, looking at the high alpha holding Shizuha on her lap and listening to Yukime's extremely over exaggerated stories. "She's a great parent. You are too Mina." She smiled.

"Thanks..." Mina glanced over at Sana, just taking everything in.

Once they had put the girls to sleep, Sana was right with Mina, both of them laying in bed together. Mina nuzzled her nose into Sana's neck, taking in her scent. She missed everything about her mate... Literally everything.

"How long are you here for...?" Mina asked, truly not wanting the answer to the question.

"A week." Sana sighed. Mina shook her head, not wanting to think of the horrible things that would come after. "Before I force myself to forget why I'm here.." She sat up in the bed, looking down at her lap. She didn't want to be there for only that.. She wanted to be home to see her daughters and mate... Not just for that reason alone. She felt a hand on her back, Mina knowing that she would have only left if there was really a reason..

"It wasn't just to visit... I know." Mina whispered. She moved to kneel behind Sana, resting her chin on her shoulder.

"We... We think Shizuha's scent can stop the war.." Sana whispered.

"How?" She frowned, moving herself to now sit in front of her mate. "How can our daughter's scent stop the war?" She asked. Sana explained the legend, everything that she knew, she passed to Mina, trying her best to justify it all.

"Her scent.. From your description matches... She has the scent." Sana frowned. "The scent of a Zeta."

"And what does a Zeta scent smell like? A blizzard?" She scoffed.

"I looked it up when I was actually able to use a computer. Zeta's scents smell like natural disasters. Winter Zetas have avalanches, blizzards, and deep freezes as scents. Summer Zetas have desert scents or dry heat scents. Spring Zetas have extreme thunderstorm scents, while Fall Zetas have hurricane scents. Each Zeta born in that season has the corresponding natural disaster scent." Sana explained.

"How may Zetas are there in existence?" Mina asked.

"Three proven." Sana explained. "A summer, fall and spring." She frowned. "The winter one... Hasn't come forward. But Shizuha, matches their descriptions."

"How old are they?" Mina wasn't sure of all of this. She didn't like it at all.

"Fall is an elder, spring and summer are around your parents age, maybe younger. But they're so rare, only one per season... One has to die in order for the next one to appear." She explained. Mina shook her head, not wanting to listen to it. "Minguin... Please hear me out... I reached out to them... Asking for their help..."

"No you didn't." Mina whispered.

"I did.. They're willing to test Shizuha.." Sana took her mate's hands in hers. Wanting her to allow the testing. "Please Mina.. It would answer a lot of questions.." She whispered. Mina eventually nodded agreeing to her mate's wishes.

Mina held onto Shizuha's hand as they walked into the medical office. Sana spoke to the receptionist, giving the information she was given from her contacts. It wasn't long before the family was brought back, meeting a woman in a long white coat.

"You must be Sana." The woman smiled at her. "And you must be Mina and Shizuha." The woman greeted the family. "I'm Dr. Sara." She smiled.

"Nice to meet you." Mina gave her a nervous smile.

"Now, from what Sana told me, Shizuha is showing signs of being a winter Zeta?" She asked. Sana nodded, looking at her daughter. "There are a series of tests, one being a blood draw, another being a physical exam, another a mental exam. Shizuha will need to be alone for the mental one of course." She explained.

"She won't be hurt?" Mina asked.

"Unless she's afraid of needles, no." Dr. Sara laughed. Mina nodded, allowing the tests to be done.

Shizuha only teared up during the blood draw, clinging to Mina while Dr. Sara did her work. Sana looked away, hating the sight. During the physical exam, Shizuha's teeth were checked, the doctor marking down notes in her clipboard as she continued.

"She has an odd pattern in her irises.." Dr. Sara frowned. "I know high alphas are able to change the color of their eyes in a rage... Mina, I know Sana explained you come from Arctic packs... Do you know of any?" She asked. She shook her head, allowing her to check her own eyes. "Mm.. It does show in yours.." She mumbled.

"What does it mean?" Mina asked her.

"Typically omegas have a pattern in the iris that allows them to shift their eye color, yours and Shizuha's look like they're able to reflect light..." She explained, a little confused with her findings.

"Oh, my pack elder explained that.." Mina answered. "In the arctic, they go dark for six months. They were able to develop a heightened sense of night vision in a way. I guess I passed it on to Shizuha.." She shrugged her shoulders, looking at her daughter. Shizuha looked at her mother with nervous eyes. Mina could feel how tense she was, but she couldn't step in... She had to let her go through the tests.

As the testing continued, Mina and Sana watched from another room, looking through a glass.

"She says she can't see us, but we can see her." Sana explained.

"I'm nervous..." Mina frowned. Sana nodded, wrapping her arm around Mina, pulling her close to her. The parents watched as Shizuha was stimulated in multiple ways, getting multiple reactions out of her. It wasn't long before the young girl lost her temper and a strong wintery scent could be smelt through the vents.

"That's the scent.." Sana whispered.