Speed

The following week was crazy busy. Myself and Jett had barely had a spare moment together outside of work, I missed him. Which was indeed weird, given that we were technically together all day long, but we each had our own jobs to do, meaning that we barely even exchanged more than a few words. Thankfully, that aside, everything seemed to be back to normal. The anxiety I'd been feeling after the London trip, and the appearance of Carl, had finally subsided, along with the disappearance of the stranger from the pub.

It was lunchtime on a Friday afternoon, and I found myself sitting in the pub, once again scrolling through websites and eating a cheeseburger. Jett was still at the garage, tied up practically rebuilding an entire engine from scratch. He'd insisted on me coming out to eat so that I could fetch him a burger to take back, both of us craving some decent sustenance after a busy morning and an extra early start.

"You're in your own world today."

I looked up at the sound of the voice. Callen's face was a few feet away from me, smiling broadly and clutching a take away box.

"Figured you were nearly done." He said nodding towards the last bite of burger on my plate.

"Thanks." I replied with a nod, picking up the bit of burger and popping it into my mouth.

"Busy day again?" He asked, leaning against the side of the booth.

"Yep, I best be getting back, I have a bunch of stuff to get on with." I said, getting to my feet and taking the box from his hand.

He nodded and moved away, getting back to work as I headed towards the door, ready to return to work.

When I got back, Jett was still slaving away on the engine. His face was screwed up in concentration and there was a tenseness to his posture that I recognised as a sign of him being focused, and frustrated, by the task at hand.

"One cheeseburger with extra relish and pickles." I said in a sing song voice, walking towards him and swishing the box through the air.

His eyes practically bugged out of his head upon seeing the box, and he instantly dropped the tool from his hand, making a grab for the food. I laughed as he wasted no time in tearing off his gloves and ripping open the box, his hands scooping up the burger and lifting it to his lips. He took a large bite, letting out a satisfied groan as he chewed.

"Why don't you go out back and eat that? I can take over here."

He paused, then began to chew slowly, swallowing the food a moment later.

"Are you sure?"

I slapped him affectionately on the arm.

"Absolutely. Go on, take a break." I assured him, practically shoving him towards the back room.

With him gone, I cranked up the radio, pulled on a pair of gloves, and got to work. Soon enough the upbeat music had got to me and I found myself half dancing as I worked, my hips swaying in time with the song.

"Well that's quite a sight."

Jett's voice cut through the music and I spun around to see him leaning against the ford fiesta next to where I was working.

"Admiring my phenomenal dance moves?" I asked playfully, giving a slight shimmy for affect.

"Of course, you're a natural talent." He teased.

I laughed, and turned back to the engine, it was coming along nicely, between us we'd managed to nearly complete it.

"I'm heading to the track tonight, I need a destress after this week. Was wondering if you wanted to tag along?" Jett asked, picking up some new gloves, and putting them on.